Ever Heard of "YOUTH PROTECTION BASIC TRAINING", BSA catalog # is AV-09V010

I am being challenged on the authenticity of this video belonging to the BSA catalog. I had Youth Protection in 2000 with the use of this video (20min. video). I have also had the longer 2-3 hour course (obviously.... as YP is an annual requirement and I have had no breaks in service since 1999).

Anyone else have this in their District libraries? Do people use it?

Being big on training, our troop purchased the VHS and then the DVD (before the council scout shop knew it existed on DVD).

We show Y.Protection videos at parents meetings and for troop leaders annually. New ASM/committee members must watch soon after doing the paperwork. Our CO has a video 'set-up' in one of the rooms we can use...(DVD has some glitches but it's ok. Additionally we REQUIRE all Scouters to do the Youth protection annually on line.

The boys (once a year) also sit through their own version of youth protection while we show their parents the tapes.

AV-09V010 is titled "Youth Protection: Boy Scout and Cub Scout Leadeer Training Module Video". I do not know whether it is a current title or not. You could find out by call the national supply division (800 number in the catalog) and ask if it is available for sale. I don't know how this video should be used, but if it is only 20 minutes long I'd suspect it does not satisfy the Youth Protection requirement.

The standard training is AV-09V001A, "Youth Protection Guidelines Training for Volunteer Leaders and Parents", starring Cordelia and crew. The video runs 65 minutes including two 3-minute discussion breaks in the middle.

By the way, this training comes with a 4-page handout for participants, in addition to the local council reporting policy, and reporting form. If you're not getting the handout you're being cheated.

Why in the heck would we have so many YP videos out there in circulation anyhow? And they are all so different from one another! That just doesn't seem to make sense. Then again... it does make sense, I stand there sometimes looking at our District library of materials and wonder "How old is THAT one?!?!" when I am looking at old beat-up JLT notebooks and such :) Since we'll be using the new NYLT, will the old JLT be phased out or will we still use BOTH, or either.. depending on how much time we have???

I'm a YP Trainer.

The standard training is AV-09V001A, "Youth Protection Guidelines Training for Volunteer Leaders and Parents", starring Cordelia and crew. The video runs 65 minutes including two 3-minute discussion breaks in the middle.

This is the official and only YP Video for adults in cub and boy scouting. The video has been reworked and put onto the web. It is at least in our coucil (Viking). The web version asks a set of 20 questions at the end, and with a successful number of the questions answered correctly, you will get a YP Trained Card presented to you to print at home.

I only recommend using the web version as a refresher every 2 years.

For adults/new scouters who have never seen the original video which is 13 years old, I suggest they view the video in a group training session.

There are 2 other video's for youth YPTraining "It Happened To Me" for Cub Scouts, and "A time to Tell" for Boy Scouts. The suggestion here is to offer the video to youth with their parents present at a special meeting for this purpose only, and to dismiss the Pack or Troop immediately afterwards without further discussion.

These are highly regarded programs, and are the best tools we currently have for making YP an integral part of the scout program, without harping on it!

Well I swear, I have the video in hand and it's 20 minutes long. It features an african-american woman and another guy acting like newscasters and they interview folks in different organizations about youth protection. Anyhow, that is the format. I remember it's the same one I watched in '99. Though I am sure there is a newer one, this one was made in '97.