I'd like to run a new idea by you:

I've found that the preferred method in almost any group activity I've ever done is to mix up the participants into groups of strangers. By that I mean in a Council Woodbadge or Powderhorn Course, you make your patrols and crews out of 6 or so peeps from 6 different districts or units.

At Powderhorn, I was placed with a bunch of enthusiastic Scouters from all over, who I've not heard from in two years or do I remember their names. There are some fellow training junkies, who I run into every year, but.......

At my Woodbadge Course, they did something different. They formed the Patrols in geographic terms to make it easier to meet between weekends and also to make it closer for Ticket Counselors. But, something else happened. The patrol was made up of 5 other people who I knew their names (sort of) and their faces, but never really worked with them before.

Here's the rub, after Woodbadge, 67% of our Patrol got along so well, that we've worked together putting on the District Camporee, two of us have joined the District Committee and serve on the same committee. We're working to put on a Leadership Skills Course, going to Gettysburg together, etc.

Going forward, why not do this leadership training and team building and keep the participants from the same troops, towns, cities, and districts together?

P

Far be it for me to speak for the powers that be - Who ever they might be.

I think the 21 st Century Course is designed to be a Council course.

Our course was a cluster course, so I did try and keep the out of town people within "Meeting Distance."

Of course there are advantages and disadvantages. I liked the idea of seeing how things were done in other Councils. But the real truth is most of us will do our Scouting in our own council.

Eamonn.