Philmont activities for male spouses

I'm attending the Strictly for Cubmasters training in August. My family is going with me to enjoy the Philmont experience and experience NM. My husband is concerned about having interesting things to do (he isn't the museum/art type). I saw something about fishing, but needing tackle - he'll have to figure out how to get it on/off the airplanes. Any suggestions on things to bring that the family will need (keeping in mind limited packing space on the airlines)? My son is 8 and daughter is 6.

My wife did the spouse thing while I attended sessions at PTC. Here's what she did. She hiked around, she took tours of the camp, she read, she napped, she relaxed. They did all they could to help her have a good time. She doesn't like to camp, but I know if I went home tonight, and said "Honey we're going back to Philmont. She'd be ready whenever." You should be able to get fishing poles and supplies that can be checked in at the side of the plane.

Your son is going to have a GREAT Cub Scout Day Camp experience. Your daughter will love being around other kids her age.

The staff and PTC will be ready to keep the kids busy and safe from breakfast to dinner. I would commend this to anyone that is headed to PTC for training. They will take care of your family.

Good luck, congrats, and have fun while you are gone...

• 2 weeks later...

WE just got back from PTC. Some things to bring. Small rug for floor. Long extension cord with multi plug end. 75 watt light bulb.(the tents have 40 watt and it's hard to read if your eyes are old like mine) Fans may be a help. when we were there it was unseasonably cool so we took the fans back to Wal mart in Taos. Check the weather before you go. If you find it too cold and you have under packed the tent city office has extra blankets.

For your husband. Fishing is a short drive away. The PTC ofice has some equipment but if he has or can justify a travel rod I would take one. Get a permit from the PTC office when you check in on Sunday. License is available in Cimarron and I think at the tradeing post. He could also hike, horseback riding and see "Doc" in handi land for help making a belt.

The food is good and there is always PB & J and cereal for picky eaters.

The kids will have a riot and you may not see them for the most part some days.

Take water bottles. It's Dry.

Anything else. email me. I'd be glad to help.

Enjoy the trip