Resistance to become a leader -- and overcoming that

This thread is spun from a thread where leaders were discussing the resistance of active adults who like the program and are active in BUT won't become leaders.

When I first became part of leadership in the pack I serve, a little over a year ago, there were few active parents. Not just few leaders, but few parents involved at all. Then I learned that this pack did not all know one another, and one thing led to another, and I spent several months getting to know the program, the leaders, the Cubs, the families. As I got to know them and their level of involvement versus interest, I recruited some new leaders. Five brand-new leaders in fact--not exactly a small number for a pack of 20. Two who were leaders but were tired and considered leaving, I helped out in one way or another, and they not only stayed, but they had fun. All this to say that in my opinion one very significant key to getting involvement is building relationships. I had an ulterior motive. My son in entrusted to the care of some of these leaders; I want to know who they are.

What other obstacles do parents name? What objections, concerns, fears, etc., and how we can help to take the fear from leading? Quite frankly, with the exceptions of health and/or family concerns, I've not yet met with an obstacle that can't be overcome if one cares about the program his/her son is involved in. And though some have some rather odd ideas about the program (we've all heard that we're not the Baby Sitters of America and that type of thing), I have not met a parent who truly doesn't care about how the program effects his/her son. Some pay for their boys and drop them off/pick them up, but that is a level of involvement--at least IMO.

These are the big three I see:

- Time requirements (job or siblings typically).

- Fear of commitment.

- Fear of what they don't know/understand.

Here's how I respond to each:

Time requirements - We'll be there to back you up. Get a partner to co-lead the den and back each other up. Don't worry about the fact that you have to be out of town half of the time, take your half and we'll take care of the other.

Fear of commitment - Ask for only one year. Promise to help them. Tell the other parents that they are only doing it for a year, and after that, it will be someone else's turn. Most will end up loving it, and won't give it up.

Fear of what they don't understand. - Sit down with them and go over the program in real simple terms. Promise to be there to give them advice. Give them all the resources you can muster (den meeting plans, Pow Wow books, etc.).

In general, I've been able to get people who have an inkling of interest to overcome their resistance. I've only had a couple back out after getting started.

I think fear of "failure" in front of one's child is a concern voiced to me a couple of times. Fits into EagleinKy's # 3.

My biggest problem has been overcoming the effects of a previous "bad" leader. The previous CM ran his own business, and that mindset flowed into how he ran the Pack. He did everything, and rarely asked for help. When he started announcing his eventual retirement (2 years in advance), it was delivered from this POV: "being CM is a lot of work, but if someone doesn't step up soon, the Pack will fold". He wasn't "bad", but his management style was not appropriate for Cub Scouts. Of course, no one volunteered immediately. It took me a year to decide to step up. And it turns out to be not as bad as he said.

Coupled with this was the Wolf leaders. Totally untrained, sporadic, irregular meetings, didn't fol,ow program, poorly planned meetings, with no visits from CM, and eventually only two out of twelve boys getting rank. When the two Wolf leaders (whose sons were the only ones to attain rank) announced that they were not returning, the entire den imploded. No one would agree to be a leader. "Look how hard the CM says it is. And the two Wolf leaders were so overworked. I can't do that." We eventaully lost them all and started off this year with no Bears. They were "bad" only because they were untrained and "un-supervised".

Most of the current leaders had little or no contact with the prevoius leadership. Therefore, no pre-conceived notions. Also, most have attended training. So, it has been easier. And we point to the "rookies" as an example of what a new parent can do.

I've observed that recruiting a leader who really doesn't want to be a leader is a recipie for disaster. I saw a pack fold because the Cubmaster took the job and was just counting days until he could get out. It was really sad, this guy skipped committee meetings, missed the end of year campfire, as well as missing pack meetings. He always claimed that work kept from attending but he never bothered to tell anyone when he wouldn't be able to make it.

I see time and commitment being tied together.

Maybe its just the type of people who want their sons to be in scouting, but the overwhelming response I get goes something like this, Im already involved in other things and just dont have to time to commit to doing the job well. These are conscientious people. I know the other things that they are involved with, its not bull.

Sure, if I said Look, the program requires that I have 5 more leaders for this den, please just sign the application! they would sign with the understanding that they simply dont have the time and that I shouldnt expect them to be active leaders. What good would that do? None.

I dont think that any of my people are afraid of failure. I do think that they have an understanding of what it takes to do a good job. They are just too busy tending to the young family, volunteering as firemen, volunteering as EMT, as soccer coaches, baseball coaches, etc, etc, etc. The sports go year round, the fireman and EMT training has become excessive to a choke point, and they drive their kids to all the things that they are involved in. We are also a community where most of the women also work; simple math tells you that there are fewer people available to do this kind of thing.

I also think that there is another hurdle to signing up new leaders in this area. Warning, some of you wont like this. The controversial positions of BSA have made wearing the BSA uniform in some parts of the country a badge of honor. Thats not the case in all parts of country. Although Scouting may be OK for the children, an adult might not want to associate himself (or herself) too closely with the positions that have put Scouting in the news lately.

Overcomming the resistance -- It's simple, concentrate on people who want the job.

Just my two cents.

(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

Oops--afraid I wasn't clear. For those who already have some involvement and would be interested in leading but either don't know how to or aren't sure of the time commitment or are nervous in front of groups--things like this--how do those people get our support in leading? The word leader can be an intimidating word. Our leaders now spend very little time preparing, and as we attend training or share what some of us learn during supplemental trainings and roundtables, we reduce the amount of time we spend in preparations. It gets easier. I met with the Scout RT Commissioner for our district, and he said he has taught troop leaders how to reduce their amount of time in preparing programs to less than half an hour. He gave me some ideas, and they are so practical and easy, that it's basically a matter of being organized. Now, for those who aren't interested in leading, that's a different story. I personally am not into arm twisting or guilt trips.

My suggestions were targeted for convincing people who were interested. (Note last paragraph: I've been able to get people who have an inkling of interest to overcome their resistance. I am usually pretty good at sensing which parents in the crowd look interested and which ones are doing everything they can to avoid eye contact. Finding those that have the seed of interest in them is important, our job is then to get the interest to grow and blossom into something bigger. (I thought a good springtime analogy would be good right now).

My old Cubmaster used to say, "Use the Program Helps! Everything is laid out for you."

That seems to be the big thing. If you use the prepared program material, your time can be cut in half.

The other thing is to get people out to Roundtables and Pow Wows where they can get ideas and solutions to problems so they don't have to spend so much time thinking about how to do things.

BTW, Fotoscout, I live in an ETREMELY LIBERAL county in a very liberal state and I wear my uniform all over the place and I have never heard a negative comment.

FOG,

I also live in a similar area, and, I also wear my uniform around town as I go about my personal busisness before or after meetings. Like you I've never had negative comments.

I didn't mean to imply a public flogging while wearing the uniform in public places. My comments were on a much more personal level.

I think that I'm reading this right.

The question is "How can we take away the fear of leading?"

If possible start them off with a few small things. The Tiger Scout program can help. But have them help at something such as the Pinewood Derby. Give them a specific job to do and let them do it.

Make it a big point to talk with them and use their name a lot. Make sure that they feel welcome and a part of the team.

Recognize everyone who helps a thank you goes a long way. Be sure that you don't ever forget anyone.

Before you ask them to do something find out as much as you can about them. What they like to do and that sort of thing. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that because they do something for a living that is what they like to do.

Never ever accept "No" as an answer. Everyone can do something. It just takes time to find out what. Pack Committee meetings are only 90 minutes once a month. Chairing the B&G is a one time hit. We have room for everyone and family involvement is a method of Cub Scouting.

Be sure that you give them all the information and tools needed to be a success.

Go out of your way to try and find them doing something right and reward them with a kind word. We all love to hear the words "Good Job."

Be open to new ideas. They might not be doing it the same old way, but they might be on to something.

Remember that after the initial enthusiasm for any project there is a need for direction. The new guy is feeling that he/she is in way over his or her head. Support is needed. Still once they are up and running step back and let'em run. While at the same time be ready to give support if needed but only if.

Let them know that you care about them as a person not just the job that they are doing.

Resolve any conflicts as quickly as possible.If you don't they will grow and get in the way.

Be sure that you all as a team celebrate in the success's. A five dollar cake at the evaluation meeting or the next committee meeting is a great investment.

As to why people say "No' The main reason is that we didn't ask the right question.

Eamonn

PS Smile a lot and make it look like you are having fun - Remember if your Scouting isn't Contagious maybe it's contaminated.

You overcome fear with information, comfort, and consideration.

The number reason for not having the leadrs you need is improper recruitment. There is a right and wrong way to do just about anything and finding the needed leadership in a scout unit is no exception. If you needed a new elementary school teacher for your child, would you gather a graoup of people from varios walks of life, put them in a room and say "nobody leaves until you have picked someone to teach school"?

Scouting is an educational system. You don't want just anybody to be the teacher, and you certainly don't want a bunch of people who don't know the program to pick the teacher.

Read and follow the instructions in the "Selecting and Recruiting Adult Leaders" brochure, available free from your scout service center.

Follow every step.

A few extra tips,

Don't go in with a scowl and talk about the need for help. Don't give people the impression that things with the unit are bad. Folks will stand by and watch a train wreck, they won't volunteer to jump on-board.

Have fun, let people know you feel guilty that they are not playing with you in the scouting game.

Give people the tools they need to be successful.

Have a Pack Trainer and get a new leader through Fast Start, NLE and Leader Specific in the first 60-days or sooner.

Once you got em, keep em. Give leaders constant reinforcement and annual recognition.