Nominating Criteria's for District Leadership Awards.

Here in our District we have an Award for Scoutmaster of the Year, Commissioner of the Year, Cubmaster of the Year, and Crew Advisor of the Year.

We've been doing this since 1997 with no standard set. Just send in your nominating letter in and the District Advancement Committee will decide from there. What I'm looking for is to set a Uniform Standard for each Award.

I'll be bringing this up at next Thursday's Roundtable so I need some resources or suggestions from the forum to set the pace.

I feel that the individuals must. . .

. . . serve at least 2 years in thier current position.

. . . complete Basic Training.

. . . receive quality unit at least once in two years.

. . . go beyond thier described duties for thier registered position.

. . . exemplify the Scouting Ideals for their respective Programs.

I feel there should be more but I'll leave that up to the forum members. So please feel free to post your suggestions. It would really help me out. You can list criterias for only one position or all. I'll leave it up to you.

Matua

I'm not in favor of detailed criteria for awards because then it becomes a ticket punching exercise and one guy will get the award and other wil then say, "Hey, I did the same thing. Why didn't I get the award."

What if you have a Scoutmaster who in one year rescues a dying troop, goes to basic training and Wood Badge, and takes an early retirement so he can dedicate his time to Scouting? Doesn't he deserve recognition?

Write some general guidelines, "Promotes the 8 methods, etc." and have the nominations include statements of why the person should be the "of the year." Let a committee decide, either through concensus or through a secret ballot.

Our district doesn't use strict criteria for awards, other than tenure. However people making nominations are told that for their nominee to have a good chance at the award, that they should include specific examples of the nominee's contributions to their unit and district. Non-Scouting community service is also considered.

We do quite a few awards than you do and we also present more than one of each award. At each level -- Cubs, Boy Scouts and Venturing -- we give "Pacesetter" awards (sort of a Rookie of the Year award) for leaders with less than two years tenure. Also at each level we give Scouter of the Year awards to those with more than two years tenure and greater contributions to the program. In addition to those, there is a lifetime service award for more than 10 years (only one of those) and the District Award of Merit. I believe that based on our membership we can award only three DAMs. Using that number, we award up to three each of the other awards if nominations merit it.

I too agree with not making the criteria too specific for the awards. General criteria give the selection committee the freedom to do their job.

As an additional award, I know of Districts that allow each unit to name a "Scouter of the Year" who will be recognized at the District dinner. That honors the Scouter and helps build attendance. I also know that one of our Districts presents advancement awards for units who have done a good job in advancement.

Thanks All of you who posted. This will help alot. I'll go with the consensus here and agree with a General Criteria.

I'll bring this up on RT tonight and had over a copy the DE and Advancement Committee Chairman.

I like the idea of the other awards mentioned. I'm sure to bring those up in the RT.

Thanks,

Matua