• 2 months later...

First, Congrats on getting to go. I was invited to attend COPE training there. Was an amazing course, my wife went with me.

Second, My wife IS NOT A CAMPER. She LOVED it!! Did I mention she asked me this spring if I thought we'd ever get to go again? (We went a few years ago) They treated her like royalty, they helped her do things that amazed her. I went on a trek with my son (previous marriage), and realized that what took us 4 days to hike to, the PTC staff DROVE her to on a day hike. She saw wild Eagles, she saw museums, she read a great book, they helped her in the crafts lodge. I'm telling you they kept her busy, and she LOVED it. She was very rested after she had this "vacation."

Third, my course was out of control. I went after breakfast, and was gone until dinner. I was beat. She didn't even know that I was gone.

Fourth, the kids program is WONDERFUL. It's built for various ages, and skill levels. Those staff members are wonderful.

Drinking water is very important. Patch trading is GREAT. Time with the family would be good too. (Like I said my course kept me REALLY busy, we didn't have the traditional day off)

The only problem we had was... We flew to ABQ, grabbed the train and got off in Raton (great trip by the way), but you see trains and planes don't have the same reference point for schedules. The train was delayed for our return. They were running a day late. Which meant we would miss our airplane. We found someone willing to do a good turn, and they drove us to ABQ. If they hadn't, I don't know if we ever would have left. (Did I mention we loved it?) A car would have resolved this problem. Also I don't know if there are car rentals in Raton. I'm sure they don't exist in Cimmiron. (When I took our troop there, we rode the train from our local train station all the way to Raton. The boys loved it) The bus that picks crews up in Raton, was very willing to pick us up. A phone call did the trick for that.

PTC is a treat. Be prepared for some real fun for the family, and some real education for yourself. EVERYONE should get a chance to go. I hope that in two years I get invited again. I'd love to do it all over.

Gettting ready to go myself. We checked on car rental. There is only one place to rent a car in Raton and that's the local Chevy dealer. I think you can get a car in Santa Fe. If you take the train it does not stop in santa Fe but in a small town close to there and then it's a bus ride in. I've heard the stories about the train schedule and most are true.

Check the internet for plane fares. We found them less than the train and it's not a 36 hour ride back.