Most of the Wood Badges in the UK were made of Ash. As Ash was the most useful wood for Scouting. Or so they said.

Gilwell park, as a fund raiser were selling beads made from a fallen Gilwell Oak.

The money is to be used to redo or do up the White House in time for the 2007 Jambo.

I hope to be there to see if they have done a good job.

Eamonn

By the way the beads are easy its' the thong that is a problem. Don't use shoe polish it marks your shirt.

Welcome to the Forum

I appreciate the information on the Gilwell Ash beads. I had heard that most Gilwell beads were made of English Oak.

I made a set of Pecan wood which is native to TX (and the state tree).

I plan on making beads from several different types of wood. I just like the idea of making my own to wear.

I would be interested in hearing from others who have made their own beads.

The leather thong is not a problem. I found some that is identical to the leather thong from my originaly awarded bead set in a hobby shop and use that.

Every participant made there our beads during the 1st weekend of Woodbadge. They where made from oak dowel rods purchased from any old hardware store.

There is a string of beads about 20 feet long, these we where told where the ones that where made and never earned.

• 2 months later...

Dan,

I have heard of candidates making one or even both of their beads during the course. How long ago did you take the Wood Badge Course and where? I think it is good to make our own beads.

From what I can tell, most beads today are made by one or two course staffers who are good at making them. I have even heard of some who may have created a little jig to make them. And I have heard that sometimes the course staff just purchases the beads.

Personally, I think the the Wood Badger should make their own beads. I almost always wear a set that I made rather than the set that was presented to me.

How may others out there made your own beads?

Thanks.

Over the years I seem to have amassed a collection of Wood Badge beads.

Which in a way is strange as while I do care about what they represent and care deeply about Wood Badge Training.However as far as the beads go most of the sets are just beads on a leather thong.

I have never made a set of uniform beads but have made sets that have been used as the Program icon on courses.

I do have a "Retired Staffer" who loves to make sets of beads.

This does result in a substantial savings when you are directing a course.

I have no idea why the cost of a set of Wood Badge beads is so high?

This chap made all the beads for the course that we just presented and only charged me two extra large course t-shirts!! That was for all the staff beads and a set for all the participants.

As a gift someone sent me a set of beads from Gilwell park. The person who sent them to me works at Gilwell so I think that he may have got a staff discount. These beads are made from a fallen Gilwell oak. While they come in a really nice presentation box with a certificate, they are still just four beads on a thong. The money that is raised from this sale is being used to restore the White House at Gilwell hopefully in time for the World Jamboree.

The first course that I staffed had a "Beadmaker" The beads were fine but whatever he used to color the leather (Boot polish?) left a dirty looking ring around your shirt.

While no one ever notices and I rarely mention it the set of beads that I wear are a mixed set.

The thong is the original one from 1976 which was presented to me by Ernie Blackburn the course director of the course that I attended at Gilwell Park. It has one of the original beads on. Another bead once belonged to Fred Jenkins, a Assistaint Scout Leader in our troop who is no longer with us. One bead is from National Supply presented to me after completing my Cub Scout ticket and this last bead is one that my mentor took of his beads just this year when he presented me with the four bead set.

Sad to say the thong is getting very thin, while I'm heading the other way.

I have a very annoying habit of twirling the beads when I'm at meetings. This seems to drive everyone crazy.

I have also found that the best place to keep them while at camp or away from home is to loop them through my belt loop.

There are, I don't know how many sets of beads tucked away in the tupperware box, in the blanket box.

Eamonn

Owl62

Took the course last year. C-12-02. Received my beads 6 weeks ago. But they where not beads that we made during the course. Not sure who made the beads I received. They are a lot nicer than the ones I made.

I use to be a Fox.

Eamonn,

I appreciate your reply.

So you attended Wood Badge in the UK? Can you compare WB in the

UK to WB here in the US? Are the beads, neckerchief, and woggle essentially the same as here in the US?

I attended the "new" Wood Badge for the 21st century here in the US. I attended the course last year in 2002 and received my beads, neckerchief, and woggle this past June. I have been a Scouter for many years.

How do you compare Scouting here in the US with Scouting in the UK? While I have lived in Europe I have never been to the UK.

I was on a website that sells beads, etc from the UK but it said it had nothing to do with Gilwell.

Do you have any information on the colors used for the neckerchief? We are told tha the outside color is "dove grey" but it appears "flesh" color to me. And the underside I think they called "sunrise" red. Any idea abou the colors?

Here in the US, apparently most WB beads are made by staffers of the WB courses. The most common seems to be that one staffer makes them. I am told that they usually buy 1/4 inch wooden dowels to make them from. Most are stained with a brown and then a dark brown or black color on the bevelled ends. Most of the thongs I have seen from our Council have a friendship knot tied about an inch above the beads. Most thongs have a simple overhand knot.

I have seen the Oak beads from the UK. and a neckerchief from the

UK that is made of wool.

Thanks.

Here in the US, apparently most WB beads are made by staffers of the WB courses."

I'm not sure what your souce is for that statement Owl62. That may be the case in your area, but I think you will find that nationally most WB beads come from BSA national supply division.

Bob White

Here in southeastern Michigan, we better not have an Wood Badge beads made out of our ash trees. If so, we would be violating the law if we left the county with them (yes county, not country). With the infestation of the emerald ash borer (another oriental treat), there is a quarantine on the exportation of any ash outside of the immediate area.

Bob White,

My source for the information is staffers from our local courses. They have all told me that the beads for our Wood Badge courses are made by the staff, for tradition and to help keep costs down.

Mr. Guy,

(Sorry I just can't call you Fat Old Guy).

Do you or anyone else here have any experience inordering Wood Badge items from the UK site?

I am very reluctant to order anything over the internet from outside the US.

Thanks.

I think think you local staff told you correctly, in your area (and I'm sure in a few others) the beads are made locally as part of a local tradiont. But overall in the US, I think you will find that the vast majority of beads come from BSA National Supply Division.

Bob White

"Do you or anyone else here have any experience inordering Wood Badge items from the UK site?

"I am very reluctant to order anything over the internet from outside the US."

I've never ordered anything from The Scout Association, the UK analog to BSA but I have ordered loads of stuff from WOSM. They convert our real money to their funny money and charge your VISA or Mastercard. We don't have to pay VAT and only pay shipping.

I wouldn't worry about it. You aren't likely to be ripped off by the oldest Scout organization in the world.

I've bought a bunch of Scout stuff on ebay from a guys in Thailand, Hong Kong, New Zealand and even a strange land called Texas. Never had a problem.