Has anyone taken or taught the troop committee challenge course? I'm on my older son's troop committee and want to know if trying to get the committee to do the challenge is worth the effort (and believe you me, it will be an effort!) or if I should settle for the two hour District course in early April.

In our District, if someone in your Troop Committee got the Committee Basic Training and obtain the Troop Committee Challenge package, he/she can provide the Troop Committee Challenge training. It shows the workings of a Committee with its functions and relation to a Patrol Method Troop. Good for new parents and anyone who is new to the Committee, but it would also be good for Committees that are not organized to support the Patrol Method Troop!

The TCC takes a full three hours to do. It works best with all the participants being from the same committee. Much of this course is team building and dividing responsibilities so to do it on a district level is counter-productive.

I would ask your training team to follow the BSA syllabus so that you will get the most from the training.

In our district you must have attended Trainer development/BSA 500 and be approved by the the District Training coordinator in order to borrow a trining kit and present any course. We currently have about 14 trainers. In the last 12 months we have had about 80 scouters take TCC.

BW

Troop Committee Challenge is the leader specific course for troop committee Chairs and Troop Committee Members. If you are asking how close it is to Pack Committee Leader Specific, they are nothing alike. Pack committees set the pack program. In a troop that is not the method. Program is decided by the boys and the committeee supports the boys' decisions.

BW

I was a co instructor last fall for the Troop Committee Challenge. It was taught at the district level. It was a small group from different units and they universally felt that it was worthwhile. It can easily be taught at your troop committee level if you have someone who is familiar with the material. It is worth the effort. As an instructor I learn something every time I get in front of a group.