Awards From Pack to go on Den Flag?

There are too many issues with our pack to mention, and I may be becoming the Cubmaster soon, so I hope I can get them corrected. Anywhoo, I am currently the assistant den leader of my son's wolf den, and we have made a den flag. I am hoping to get the other dens to also make a den flag (until I started doing research, I had never heard of a den flag, so no one else had either). I was wondering what awards your pack gives to the dens on a monthly basis. I have read about attendance awards and uniform awards for dens with the most cubs in uniform. Are there any other ideas, and and what kind of things do you give for these that they can add to their flags.

Personally, I'm BIG on den flags! In our pack, each den makes a new flag at our June campout so that they have a flag for their new den level.

The flags are color keyed, with Tiger Cub orange, Wolf yellow and Bear blue.

Scouts usually have fun making their flags, and they can be useful in getting dens together at activities.

I'm also big on lashing together poles from which to hang the den flag. I bring tree branches that boys can choose for poles and cut to length. One pole is lashed to the vertical pole and the den flag is staple gunned to the cross pole to hold it out so that it's displayed all the time. I find that even Tiger Cubs are strong enough to operate the staple gun if they put their whole weight on it.

Scout shops usually have generic ribbons for Cub Scout 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. You could easily hand out ribbons for den achievements of various kinds, or make your own.

We haven't awarded ribbons or other recognition of the kind you suggest --- but we should. I think your have the right idea.

Here is what I have so far, just did the border Friday (not perfect, but first time doing it...lol). Nothing besides the border is attached yet, and I actually got a big Cub Scout badge to possibly put in the middle instead of the fleur de les. I'm waiting to go farther yet until after our first meeting after recruitment. Yes we only have 4 in our den, we lost a lot last year, again, like I said, we have a lot of issues with our pack, the I am working on resolving this year.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/koltonjb/?action=view&current=001.jpg

Hello briveigh,

That's very nice!

Personally, I tend to supply Scouts with resources and let them design their flag. That can be something of a mess for Tiger Cubs and Wolves especially.

I encourage them to lay out what they want on the flag material and look at it before gluing stuff on, but I leave it up to them.

I often look for stuff on Recruiting yard signs, recruiting posters, look at the Scout store for a patch designating their den level or whatever. I recently got access to a color printer which allowed me to find Cub Scout images on the internet and enlarge them and print them out in ways that would be useful on den flags.

But that's just my style and bias. Scouts and leaders should be encouraged to try their own stuff --- which is of course what I did.

Right now I probably have about eight den flags in my house, many Tiger Cub Den flags since I work with Tiger the most.

See if you can get a "grab bag" of buttons/pins from a craft store or flea market. The kind that say "Good Job!" or smiley faces. Then pin them on to your Den's content.

And if you want an inside joke to parents, call them "Pieces of Flair", and keep a running track of which Den can collect the most Pieces of Flair on their flag.