Cub Scout "Video Game" Awards

I like the belt loops and pins better than the tiger track beads. For those of you not intimately knowledgable of the tiger program the tiger track beads are the equivalent of the arrow points earned by wolves and bears. I wish the tigers could earn arrow points. There's room on the shirt for six columns of arrow points, isn't there? Anyway, I've found the academics and sports program to be a great way to expand my sons interest in other things and to broaden his interest in specific things. For example, this past summer, his grandfather taught him to play chess. He became fascinated and made me play a hundred games of chess with him. (I hate chess). He earned the belt loop-no problem, but to earn the pin he has to do some more things that I can't really help him with, so he's getting a chess book for his birthday next week. :)

The video game loop and pin was how I convinced him that Cub Scouting was going to be a fun thing for us to do together. :)

Belt loops and pins are an excellent program in Cubbing. The boys love playing the games and receiving the bling. Why not? I encourage all my leaders to intertwine belt loops with advancement and electives. It is not hard to do with many things.

Wolf rank has a collection achievement. Why not go a little further and work on the Collection belt loop? Bear rank has a games achievement. Why not make it fun and add the marbles loop, or flag football, or ultimate?

My sons have earned many loops and a few pins. They have learned a lot, they have been introduced to new skills, and they had fun. Isn't that the point of the whole thing?

Beltloops and Pins are great. They can be used within the Webelos program to get their Webelos Activity Pin. Our Council just had a STEM event for the Science Beltloop/Pin. It was put on at Intel by the Mad Scientist Company. It rocked!

I tell the boys (I'm the Cubmaster) that working on these are just like working on the Merit Badges as Boy Scouts.

I would so look into promoting this as much as you can.

I recently started up/announced a Cubmaster Hike program.

It includes: Geology, Wildlife Conservation, Map & Compass, Photography and Family Travel.

Hope that helps.