Piecemeal Crossover

A Pack can have a great "year round program" by simply staying active as a Pack over the Summer months. Some ways to do that are to have Pack activities such as - Family Campouts, kite flys, picnics, Council Summer/Day camps, hiking, Fishing Derby, rocket shoot, etc.

Earning the Summertime Pack award is a good way to do at least the minimum.

Mom.

Not around here as far as I know, but I left Cubs in 2004. We were a very active Pack and always worked to earn the Summertime Pack Award. We encouraged and supported our district daycamp and Cub resident camp. We had one or two get togethers like a cookout and swim party over the summer, but we did not do Den or Pack meetings. The program just isn't designed that way. Perhaos that is why we keep seeing so many threads about crossing 9 to 10 year old, 4th grade Webelos I's who have already earned their AOL over to Boy Scouts. What's the rush? Recruit in August during the school orientation night, kick off in September and hold graduation to the next rank in May. Take the summer off and go to resident camp.

FWIW Historically, Cubs was a 9 month program based upon the school year. Then the Summer Time Awards came about. Now it's encouraged for a year round program.

Boy Scouts has been year round, but when I moved to NC several troops only have 9 month programs, with summer camp and possibly a HA activity the entire summer. Summer was my troop's busiest time.

E92,

BSA still defines the Cub program as a 9 month program and produces resources toward that end. They do recognize that some Packs chose to make the program year round though.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide/Overview.aspx

That being said, they do have the Summertime Pack Award to help keep boys active thru the summer.

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/home/cubscouts/cub%20scouts/uniformsandawards/denpack.aspx

National Summertime Pack Award

A pack can earn the National Summertime Pack Award by doing three pack activities when school is out for the summerone activity each in June,July, and August. Packs that qualify get a colorful streamer for their packflag. Dens that have at least half of their members at the three summer pack events can earn a den ribbon. Pack members who take part in all three events are eligible for the National Summertime Pack Award pin, to wear on the right pocket flap of their uniform.

If a pack is in a "year-round school" (or is part of a home-school association), the pack could earn the Summertime Pack Award by having a special pack activity during school breaks.