Advice for a new Cubmaster

I am really excited to have found this forum! I am in the process of moving from ACM to CM. I was the ACM for most of this year. Our Pack has many challenges (I secretly refer to it as "The Island of Misfit Toys"). We have 12 scouts. That means that almost every parent has to take some sort of leadership role. Recruiting has been very difficult. Neither of the schools in our area are very supportive. We have to pay dearly for meeting space as it's our only option at the moment. We have been unable to find a Church or other group willing to Charter the Pack. We've been given one more year to find one. I feel a little overwhelmed. We get no help from Council or District.

It has been difficult enough to just keep the Pack going with a basic program. Putting these more structural issues on top is even tougher. Any advice?(This message has been edited by 61rover)

If you would post what area of the country your in, someone from the forum would chime in and try to help.

Pay for meeting space??? Den used to meet at the den leaders homes, It isn't a problem to still run it that way. Far as Pack meetings go, I bet the local fire department would let you use one of the bays. The Charter organization is a problem.

I believe it is American Legion (or VFW) that have a national policy of picking up charters for dropped scout units. Contact them in your area if you can't find another group.

Also, call your District Executive and request a sit-down meeting. Put it on the line - your pack is about to lose your charter and if you don't get help, there will be one less unit in the district. Most DEs would give their left kidney to prevent a unit from going under, because they get evaluated (and paid) partly on the basis of membership targets. They need to add a certain number of new units per year, which is a lot harder when existing units disintegrate. Your DE will likely move mountains to help you locate a new charter org.

61, I think we were separated at birth! We have a lot in common (except the meeting space thing).

We also have just 13 boys (two are aging out next month, leaving me 11), and I just took over this past year as CM.

I concur with the other comments; your Exec should be your go-to guy, and you should also have a Unit Commissioner (a volunteer advisor who guides Packs through exactly what you're talking about).

The library might have a meeting room you could use once a month. Or how about a local business with a lobby they don't use in the evenings? (Industrial business lobbies are pretty sturdy--I work in an HVAC contractor's office, and our lobby would work, while we're small). Just throwin' out ideas.

We're VERY blessed to have a chartering church who gives us access to their hall, so Pack meetings aren't a problem. The Dens all meet at the leaders' homes.

But I would love to exchange ideas with you on how to deal with small Packs (our schools aren't that helpful, either).