problem with den leader

That's as may be; I don't think anyone's arguing that the guy SHOULD continue parking there. It IS wrong, no doubt about it.

I think in answer to your *original* question as to what you should do about it, you said you've ALREADY mentioned it, correct?

Well, your recourse now is to :

A) pursue it further with this Pack;

or

B) find another Pack.

Honestly, if you've ALREADY mentioned it to NO AVAIL, and it really, really bothers you (as clearly it does), I'm a little afraid that if you go with Option A, there's gonna be some bad feelings all around. Because it's clearly important to you (not wrongly), and it's clearly NOT important to the guy parking.

If you're truly bothered by it, and the fact that he ignored your request, I gently suggest that you start Pack Shopping, shake the dust off your sandals and move on.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. I've been thinking about this whole issue, since you opened the topic, and I realize that, in my town, if we actually met IN the Scout Hut (Boy Scouts do, we Cubs don't, as the church hall works better for us), it doesn't have handicapped parking at all.

Something about the zoning boundaries of where the Hut sits makes it grandfathered or something that it's not ADA enforced. I find that interesting. It's all just street parking; no parking lot (therefore no handi-spaces) at all.

There aren't even SIDEWALKS in that whole section of town. Therefore there are NO curb breaks for wheelchairs. Just curb. The whole street. (The Hut itself IS ADA accesible from the street, by the way. Just no special parking spaces.)

So...just as a gee-whiz question...if you moved to town, and wanted to join Cub Scouts, and saw the Scout Hut, would you choose to go to a different Pack, because there are NO handicapped spaces, therefore no guarantee of a "close" space to the access sidewalk to the building?

Just curious...

"I think the fact that noone else is bothered by it is also shameful.."

See now, this is where I think things are probably going a little far. First, I don't actually see people here saying they aren't bothered. (I certainly wasn't saying that.) Second, I don't think it helps to insinuate this. That's the kind of comment that escalates the situation to no end, and is a primary reason why I don't think you will gain the outcome you seek, by addressing this individual again.

Please don't misunderstand me: I agree with you, it is rude and wrong to park in a handicap spot for mere convenience. The CM seems to be rather insensitive on this issue. He should know better. He is not setting the example we all might like him to set. He should also have responded better to your original request. However, he didn't.

While I don't disagree with what you hope to achieve, I don't think you'll succeed with the method you propose, and I wonder whether you are willing to pull your boy from the pack over this (or how he would feel about that). There are a lot of lessons children learn from watching their parents & other adults. One here is certainly that people should be more respectful of those with disabilities. Another is that people don't always see eye to eye, even on important issues. A third is that all of us have some failings, some more than others, and simply putting on a scout shirt doesn't make us perfect individuals.

Please take this in the spirit it is meant (you did ask for opinions and I am trying to be both honest and courteous in my response - I hope that is how you are reading this.) Please also accept my heartfelt sympathies for your family's loss, and my enduring gratitude for all who serve our country, including the families that make their service possible.

Hold on now. I wasn't refering to any of you on this forum. I was talking about my son's pack specifically. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. I also have NOT proposed doing anything. I said that I had spoken to him once and that is all. I also wrote that I didn't intend to go further with this.

Let me clarify....I haven't proposed doing anything other than what someone else suggested. That is to make a presentation to the pack. I think it's a great idea and I am going to invite a few veterans and perhaps someone from the disabilities awareness program at our University.