Cub Scouts and Military Moves

I'm a DL and also in the military. I was notified that I have to move this summer. I love being a DL and have put in a lot of time and effort into the den. I haven't received orders yet so I'm not sure exactly where we going yet and not sure if my new job will allow me the time to be a DL. If it does, I would love to continue being a DL at my son's new pack. Anyone have any tips on transfering into a new pack?

Here are a few ideas based upon me moving to 5 councils in a 7 year period.

1) Make sure your son's records are all up to date with your local council and get a copy of them. Fix any problems that may be in them prior to move.

2) Make sure your current council has all your training records up to date, and get a print out. Again fix any problems prior to the move.

3)Make sure you have a copy of the BSA transfer paperwork, found here http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/28-401.pdf to be turned in to your new unit/council. may want to attach a copy of your training records, and your son's advancement records, just to make sure there are no SCOUTNET problems.

4) once you find out your new location, locate packs in BEASCOUT.ORG and arrange visits.

Keep a copy of all your paperwork. Scoutnet is suppose to make this easier, but in moving around my records were FUBAR. I had to take YPT several times before it was expired because it did not follow me around, and a good bit of my training was not listed. And since I was a DE when a good bit of it was done, I never got cards b/c DEs didn't get cards in my council. Luckily a FD from my time was still employed, and probably verified my records when I got them all cleared up.

Goo dluck with the move and thanks for your service.

Eagle pretty much covered everything, but something to consider, too -- train your replacement before you get orders and go. It's important for the continuity of a military-related unit to have a legacy of leaders to pass on the good of the program to the new boys moving in. I work with a constant rotation unit (some out in 3-6 months, some out in 3 years, some out in 5 years) and it's difficult to keep things going. As soon as someone learns their job, they move on. Keeping those leaders trained and passing on knowledge is helpful!

Thank you for serving our country in more than one way!

afscout,

Greetings!

You've already received some great advice. A few more things to consider.

Just prior to committing. Not all Packs (or Troops, Crews) are cookie cutter. It won't be exactly like the Den and Pack you are leaving.

After arrival. Visit all the packs within the neighborhood. Of course, ask questions and survey the parents. But then also, check your work and social schedules. Ask what the sports schedule is like. A Pack or Den night, may severly conflict with other personal schedules and commitments.

Finally. Figure out what new friends your son has in the new school. And then, if they are Cub Scouts. You may enjoy a Pack and Den, in what you consider is appealing. But then your son may insist on another Pack and Den where his friends are at. Possibly you may have to revert to your own second choice, to accomodate your Cub Scout's desire.

Good Luck in the move!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv