Cub Scout Patrols

I find this all confusing, I'll explan.

First a properly ran "Cub Pack" functions just like a "Boy Scout Troop" with the exception the pack is adult ran and led.

A Den in a Pack functions like a Patrol in a Troop except, with the exception the Den is adult ran and led.

The very nature of a Den is to be small in size (6-8 boys)just like a patrol in a troop is small in size (6-8 boys).

So with that in mind. If there is more than 6-8 boys in a den its time to split the den and form another den.

The OP said splitting the den and forming another den is not a option they are going to pursue.

Why not?

After all is that not whats happening anyway?

They seem to have enough participation from parents. Surely the ADL could become the new dens DL and a couple of parents could be recruited to be ADL's.

I tend to agree with Clem that this is largely a matter of semantics. Particularly with the new delivery method, but even before for packs using the old program helps plans, the dens generally should be doing the same things.

I'll add the tapdance is often necessary due to the politics and angst which accompanies splitting dens. I've never seen that go well. Even after crossover, we catch hell when trying to create Boy Scout patrols from Webelos dens.

83Eagle -- bottom line is that if you understand how the program should be run and why, but feel the best interest of your Scouts requires some adjustment, the do what you think is necessary.

We will have two Bear dens. Now, it so happens that these two Bear Dens will meet in the same location, at the same time. And sometimes, they will be working on the same project or activity. This just makes sense for sharing resources, facilities, expertise, planning, and to preserve the dynamics of the group that have caused the Den to grow from 5 to 9 to 13 boys since the Tiger year.

So call it a matter of semantics then...My thinking is that boys will find the idea of having Patrols and Patrol names somewhat more interesting than being part of Bear Den 1 and Bear Den 2. I'm already envisioning the Clone Troopers and the Jedis or something like that. (Though I wonder if that would run us afoul of G2SS restrictions on war-type motifs...but I digress...)

I am simply looking for examples and anecdotes from those who have done a Den split after several years. There is more to making this work than just decreeing it is so. And, related to this move, I am looking for examples or advice of how to move the boys toward more self-direction and responsibility, which I am hoping the smaller patrol...er, den...structure will encourage also.

Just to follow up on this. As usual the easiest way to do something is just to do it. So we divided up into 2 patrols and had them meet in different parts of our big meeting area. Different adults work with each group. Nothing really magical about making it happen.

The boys liked choosing patrol names based on available BSA patrol patches. They are going to put their patrol patch on their red vest for now which they can move to their tan shirt when they become Webelos soon. (I'm sure there's something against the guidelines about that patch approach, but I don't care because they like it.)