A week ago, we discussed the Pine Wood Derby at our district roundtable.

Now, I'm not patting myself our our pack on the back, but i do want to pass along what we did....based on the reactions I got from other CC's and CM/s at the roundtable.

We don't have a Pine Wood Derby Prep pack meeting like other units in our district. We instead have a Drive in Movie Night.

We tell the scouts that they need to take a box and decorate it like a car. The more bling, the more decoration...the better.

It's kinda soreta a contest,,but a contest against yourself. A contest to be creative.

But not a win a trophy contest.

On the Drive in movie night, all the scouts bring their cars and sit inside of them during the meeting. Instead of takking about whatever to the scouts, we instead play a movie and serve popcorn and bottled water.

We used to play Down and Derby, but let's be honest: It's a very dry movie for the scouts to take in. They get bored, trhey get restless and son drool starts seeping out of the corners of thier lethargic comatose mouths! :)

So what we did this year is change the movie to "The Little Rascals". It's great for thier age and attention span, and has a Soap Box Derby race in it. ( 2004 ? Version)

The kids laugh, pay attention the whole time and have fun. The leadership as well as adults discuss the PWD, rules, time, date, etc....

And truth be told, it's adults who need to be reigned in at PWD, not the kids! :)

Again, not patting myself or our pack on the back or trying to toot our horn, but everybody at the roundtable acted like it was the coolest thing.

Maybe you or your cubs would like it too.

Scoutfish,

Neat idea!

I loved the Little Rascals movie. Course I was falling off the couch watching The Brady Bunch and The Cone Heads movies, since every joke was a re-hash of the same sitcom joke 20-30 years earlier.

Years ago, I chaired a District PWD. I knew that the Cubs had short attention spans (heck my attention span is short). I held the PWD in a car dealership showroom. When the Cub families arrived the cars were surrendered, they were "impounded" and the registration immediately traded then with a "match box" car. Before the final heats, the Police Department showed up with the DARE car, sirens, horns and light shows. And during the races, I had a popular childrens movie running on a big screen in the corner of the show room, for those that couldn't sit and watch other heats or races. (though the Little Rascals movie would have been perfect)

Some parents thought it was in bad taste to have a popular kids movie playing in the corner during the races, but to me it occupied their time for the 4-5 hour morning, when they were not racing.

Hopefully your PWD Drive In catches on!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv