Turning a den activity into a pack activity

I have an activity that two different den ranks are going to do. I'd like to make it an entire pack activity.

I was inspired last year when we happened to collect a MRE ( Meal Ready to Eat ) while collecting for the Scouting for Food campaign.

My son wondered what it was, so I opened it up and showed him. Explained why the soldiers didn't just sit at a table and eat cheeseburgers and pizza every day.

SO, at the time, I was only an ADL. I took the MRE to our DL and told him I had an idea about teaching the boys some respect for soldiers, a touch of gratitude and just a lesson over all.

So here it is:

We as a country, are lucky to be able to eat whenever we are ready to. We can also choose what type of fod we want. Hot, cold, soups, sandwhich, steak, burger, etc...

We can snack and eat when it suits us. Whenever the mood hits us. But sometimes, we had a "rough" day and decide that we just don't feel like cooking - so we go out to eat.

Sometimes we are just sooooo too tired to even do that, so we order delivery. Speaking of delivery, used to be a time tat delivery meant pizza. Now it's chinese, Mexican steak, fish, standard food ( chicken, roats, ham, etc...) or places like Boton Market that you pick up on the way home.

But what about the fine military folks who are in other countries , surrounded by terrorists or other combatants who are trying to kill them. They could be in extreme heat conditions or extreme cold. They could be in snow, water, rain, mud, 125 degrees or whatever else.

So imagine when you had that "rough" day, and you just don't feel like cooking, and you order out....that the guy or gal who makes sure you keep the right to do that- could be sitting in a ditch, in a foot of cold nasty germy water, and getting shot at or shelled....and is eating their meal out of a plastic bag.

Could be the 7th, 10th, or even 18th meal they have eaten this way...assuming they can even stop to eat.

They might be freaking estatically enthused about having the opertunity to slave over a nice hot stove inside an A/C heated house away from flies, bugs, snakes, scorpions and rain or dust.

So that was the lesson or activity I wanted to do. I gave our DL the MRE and nothing ever happened. Found out later he let his son just have it.

WEll, I just happen to have a unopened case of 12 MRE's and also an opened case of 8 ( individually sealed and packaged) MRE's of a mixed variety.

Just happens that we have 12 active full time Bears and 8 full time active Webelos.

Both DL's are very happy that I offered them the MRE's and the idea I had.

And wether they actually like the taste all aside...the boys will just think they are cool! :)

But I wouldn't mind turing this into a pack wide activity. Same as when we build PWD car boxes or a recipe book holder for mom on Mother's day. Each den goes to their regular room or meeting place, but all do the same activity. Sometimes we just mention it as

an upcoming activity during the announcements at a pack meeting.

Wow!I just answered my own question.

You guys are great! Keep up the good work! :)

When ever I get an idea like this I have to ask what is the point, lesson or what do I hope the student will take away from the experience.

I don't think that cub scouts could get their mind around the lesson you have hoped to teach in your post. They can't even think about dinner tomorrow.

If the lesson you are hoping to teach is they are cool, they are full of calories and some of them taste ok, your probably ok.

If you trying to teach eating them day after day is bad boring, and a sacrifice then they probably miss it. I believe they are 70 different MRE meals to be had. not too bad.

Besides MRE's are a big step up from what my father ate in the service out of the cans. D, k rations or the 5 and 10 in one rations. MRE's are a huge step up.

I've had a lot of success turning den activities into pack activities. I've collaborated with the other dens in terms of an activity at den meeting time. They give a portion of the meeting time for that activity then. (Remember they have their own den plans for advancement and may not be able to add in 20 minutes for something you find interesting. You might just offer to come and do your interesting thing at a time in their calendar that is useful for them.)

For activities not during the den meeting time, we invite them to join us. It works best if the den leader is interested in the activity (ice fishing) and can encourage attendance.

Our pack structure is weak. Dens are by nature stronger. Your mileage may vary.

could be a fun activity - you just never know what kids will learn from things though.

my son learned about MRE's the first time he went to summer camp with his 1st troop. one of the older scouts had a dad who was in the service and got a couple from his dad to bring to camp for days when he wasn't a fan of the meals at camp. Now my son is always asking to take 1 with him or at least add water to cook deal.

My den, the Bears, were going to do a bike hike along with some of the safety requirements associated with the Ride-On requirement. As Cubmaster, I made up a sheet with all the bike riding requirements connected to all the ranks, as well as the belt loop and pin requirements, and made it a pack activity. All the boys, with a little help from parents at home verifying the boys actually got the safety concept, were able to earn the Bicycling Belt Loop.

Our pack has never really had a Halloween Party/Event, but I saw somewhere in a rating of favorite activities of the boys during the Cub Scout year that the Halloween Party was one of the top two or three activities. The Bear Den has a number of electives on Magic, so I set up a Pack Magic & Treats Night on our den meeting night just before Halloween. The Bears "hosted" and performed magic tricks, others were invited to perform tricks as well, and we had Webelos that took us up on that. We sang spooky songs and did Halloween themed cheers, etc. Everyone was invited to bring treats, and the pack had a blast.