Above and beyond BB Guns

No, I am not challenging BSA on their shooting policy, nor am I in any way implying or suggesting ways around the policies concerning BB Guns.

NOPE! Just my observations of scouts using BB Guns.

My son has a Daisy "Air Rifle" I'm sure most of you know the difference between a BB "gun" and "rifle".

My son's gun is somewhere in the middle between those $1,200.00 high power .22 calibre competitions guns and the Red Ryder spring/air guns.

My son's gun is a "pump up to ten times" 700(and something) feet per second velocity rifle. It can be used for killing small game ( sigh ...another vague definition) and shooting.

The thing I notice though, is that, when my son uses a concil owned Red Ryder "spring/air" bb "gun" , he is less acurate and does not do as well.

But i also notice the trigger is stiiffer and causes him to pull or snatch the trigger in order for the gun to fire. Meanwhile, his own air rifle has a smoother , easier to pull trigger, He can squeeze it to fire the gun. Thus he doesn't snatch on the gun and keeps it pretty much where he aims it.

He also owns a single shot, bolt action .22 rifle. It's caled a Chipmunk. He's pretty acurate with it too.

He has plenty of experience shooting a .410 too. Well, he's as accurate as you expect somebody to be with a .410

I mean, it shoots black pepper or something pretty close to it! :)

So, just as a passive thought, and not any kind of challenge, it seems that the very basic bb gun si the hardest thing to shoot!

well the red ryder style bb guns do not have rifled bores. hense the loss of accuracy. They also use the super cheap BB's, what is the difference in the bb's you asked. The cheap Daisy or just cheap bb's in general have a flat spot on them, not all of them, but more than half. this puts a nasty hook on it. Crossman copperheads are pretty good

To help our boys I bring a better grade of BB's to council events. They always shoot very well.

Funny you said that...I buy my son the copperheads.

Saw some in a modified drink bottle bb holder thing at camp. Thought they were copperheads too. Had that reddish tint to them.

Nope, just a little bit rusty..

I'm suprised they even shot through the barrel.

Scoutfish-

I would agree with you. Earlier this month at the range on our Pack Family Campout, the rangemaster had a good chuckle when my son and his buddy were complaining that there was a lot of "slack" in the trigger on the council owned BB-guns. This led to a discussion about trigger play, dead space, and trigger travel on the part of the boys. More advanced than I think the rangemaster expected out of a group of cubbies, but they were actually thinking about what causes them to be more or less accurate - line of sight, cheek weld, breathing, trigger squeeze vs. pull, and trigger slack. Its impressive how much more accurate a kid becomes once they start to THINK about these things when setting up a shot, versus just a point and pull mentallity.

You have to understand that these 'guns' (using the term lightly despite the safety concerns), are handled by a LOT of kdis, and not being top of the line for most councils.

Even then - a lad SHOULD be able to put 3 groups of 5 shots in the area of a quarter at 15 feet, which will earn them the belt loop and pin. Now, I doubt I could even hit a pop can at 30yrds with a council owned bb-gun. My son and most of his buddies that shoot with us on a monthly basis can pull that off with their little Daisy 880's. Then again, you get 880 fps velocity + higher quality BB's or pellets = much more accuracy.

It would be nice if there was a step up between the Red Ridder BB's and a .22 cal at camp. But I also understand BSA's need to standardize for the sake of safety and cost containment. However, some very nice, very accurate air riffles can be had at fairly reasonable prices.

A step in the right direction - our council range DID have brand new Jr. Compound Bows for use in archery this time around. I think the rangemasters might have dug into their own pockets to make that happen. The old recruves were terrible to have a kid learn on...

Dean,

Makes me wonder: Maybe (I should go out and buy 3 or 4 air rifles and donate them toi the camp. Maybe Daisy 880's .

I think that's actually the one my son has , but relabeled 8800 because it came with the $4.00 scope and yellow shooting glasses.

I suppose it could be limited to Webelos age scouts? Have a secondary set of targets that are 30 foot away?

No doubt the scope would have to come off.

Hmmmm....Maybe I'll call our program director or SE.