Issues with Wood badge

Dweller --

When we showed up at the camp (for the week long program) - we were basically told -- "No phone calls, no letters, no radios. You are here to concentrate on your Scoutcraft skills, and learning how to be the best Scout leader you can be."

Must say, they didn't catch me on too many Scoutcraft items, but, when it came to being a good leader, I learned many things that multiple military training courses had missed.

Wow! Interesting that you do not say where you had your course, that might be helpful to others. Wish you would have gone through the course I just finished staffing as I think all enjoyed it. What do you mean by #3 when you say you are on staff for another course, what course is that? How did your WB stafff do it wrong specifically?

#5, yup we get that but other courses do not have your patrol in an outdoor setting (I hope and assume) or the overall atmosphere of a Scout Troop.

As far as what Vigil noticed.... WB for the 21th Century was adapted from the syallabus of NLS, or at least the current one, which differs remarkably from the NLS I attended in 1981.

Fellow Wood Badgers,

Greetings!

About my WB past experiences, I attended and staffed the WB for Boy Scout Leaders in two councils, then later staffed the WB21C in three different councils.

As the WB21C began, many of the new learners would asked which course the staffers enjoyed better. It was difficult to remain impartial, and staffers attempted to tell them that it was a different course and it was similar educational points and just as much fun.

Regarding Dwellers thoughts.

1. We (staffers) brought plenty of critters that represented our totem and sat them around the classroom tables (and etc). I still encourage new staffers to label their stuffed animals and figurines. The totem is fun and helps a patrol to bond, but can sometimes get carried away and distract from learning how to serve a pack, troop or crew.

2. Stave, we used during old courses. But not part of the current syllabus that I recall.

3. Staff recognition. I get tired of that as well. We need to say thank you quiet often, we all need a pat on the back. Even staffers need to be recognized in front of their peers. But a 10-15 minute ceremony every two hours. geez.. I can feel your pain. It is like the campfire song, "This is the song that never ends" After the first five stanzas, it gets old.

4. Soliciting. Yep agree. World Friendship Fund is written as an option in the curriculum a course may or may not conduct a WFF during (Interfaith) Worship Service. Soliciting for FOS and Scouterships has a time and place. WB21C is not the right time and place.

5. Same Material again. Yeah. Probably is, in some form or another. I remember 10, 13, 15, and 16 styles of a leader, then reduced back down to 4 leadership traits. I'm confused to what the current contemporary trend is. But with each course or conference, I learn to communicate and network, then identify what I can do for an organization and what an organization can do for me.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

"As far as what Vigil noticed.... WB for the 21th Century was adapted from the syallabus of NLS, or at least the current one, which differs remarkably from the NLS I attended in 1981."

I don't buy this for a second.

I know NLS does a Win All You Can game, but I don't know who used it first (and it doesn't matter). It's not original to either course anyway.

I'm sure there must be some leadership and communications skills shared by both, but to say WB was adapted from NLS is over the top.

BDPT00