Cub Scout Boating Event

Ok I need some help, especially from NCS Aquatic Directors and/or CS Aquatic Supervisors. We are having a council family camp out, and the opportunity to use row boats is a possibility. But I have a question about ratios.

G2SS found here, http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss02.aspx, under Safety Afloat's Qualified Supervision states that

For Cub Scouts, the leadership ratio is one trained adult, staff member, or guide per five participants.

Now if I remember from my BSA Lifeguard days correctly, a certified lifeguard under age 18 from any agency, i.e. YMCA, ARC, etc, would count towards the 5:1 ratio AS LONG AS they are working under someone 21+. Question is am I correct or is my memory going. I know if push comes to shove we can get an adult to take charge, but getting additional lifeguards will be a challenge, esp since most of the aquatics staff is in the OA and they are having the Fall fellowship going on the same weekend. I may be able to recruit some folks, but they are under 18.

HELP!

Cannot do the whole thing as most of my resources are in the OA, which is busy that weekend. I have a feeling that I may be roped into doing aquatics, which I hope and pray someone else will do so i can focus on the show. Wife won't be happy if I'm not with oldest at family campout. And she won't be there until the show.

"council family camp"

Is that a Council sponsored event, and if so it would be a concern of the Activities chair and the ranger.

Or is that a couple Pack's camping (since all Cub camping is family camping) on the Council grounds?

DG,

Council event, not a bunch of packs getting together. I'm part of the committee that helps plan these, and the committee hasn't met yet to discuss this event. Trying to get some prep work done ASAP since it is 2 months away.

Forgot to add that the camp ranger has some concerns in ref to G2SS as they camp hasn't had a boating program in a very long time, like 41 years. ranger wants to make sure that it is a safe and fun environment.

Our local camp tries not to schedule stuff with OA events if possible, so that's why I asked.

Although, if an Ordeal Weekend or just a fellowship weekend, "waterfront service time" with OA Scouts would be easy to staff.

The 1:5 ratio for Cubs and the number of boats is a factor.

Been a while since I was a CM, but Cubs never were in a boat without an adult (there's your 18+ lookouts), so usually 2-3 staff (1 with LG training SSD, SA, and 2 who can also swim, SSD, SA training) were usually enough. I think we had 4-6 row boats that we limited to 2 adults/3 cubs, or 4 cubs 1 adult (maybe 5 if they were little).

I don't think there is any spot in the lake (large pond) at camp where an adult could not stand in....(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Trying for the past year to not have overlap, maybe 2012 since the 2011 calendar came out.

Unfortunately this is the Fall Fellowship weekend, and it's big. This is the weekend for lodge elections, chapter competitions, Vigil, etc. Very few Arrowmen miss it, and we have had college students fly in for the weekend to attend.

It appears that where they are going to put the row boats, our "little pond," actually has areas that are deeper than the lake. Pond is easier to get into boats at.

I was thinking 6 folks with lifeguard and/or "Boating Supervisor" training for the event: 2 on the water in kayaks or canoes (whichever we can get), 1 handling equipment, 1 handling "buddy board," 1 Adult supervising, and 1 "spare."

One reason why I don't want the job is that I am no longer a BSA Lifeguard or YMCA Lifeguard instructor. Nor have I taken the Aquatics Supervisor training. But I do have SSD and SA current. Also as mentioned earlier, I really need to be with my son, and the rest of the den, during the day.