Spring recruitment and advancements

When can scouts recruited in the spring begin to work on advancements and earning belt loops? I was thinking about having them work on Bobcat and belt loops now, and begin working on other rank advancements with their den after June 1. This would fit in well with what the pack is doing at the moment, most boys have earned their current rank badge and we are doing various belt loops to finish out the school year. Is the answer different for boys going into first grade and starting Tiger Cubs?

Huh?

It's been a while since I was a CM, but I understood new Tigers recruited in the Spring can start Cubbing June 1. The application can't be submitted to council earlier anyway.

If you have prospective youth (showing interest before June 1), and they come to pack meetings, they are guests and although can be introduced to the Bobcat material & belt loops, can't actually earn them until June 1.

So, nothing wrong by including Guests in Cub activities/skills as Cub Scouting is a family activity, but actually earning "Bobcat/loops" needs to wait until June 1.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

As dg said, a boy going into first grade will not be able to register until June 1.

If, for example, you have a boy who is finishing 2nd grade interested in joining, it would be a great idea to have him join a Wolf den now, work on Bobcat, and be ready to start on the Bear badge with his den mates over the summer.

Just make sure that the family understands that he will not be working on his Wolf badge - there is no "catching up" on things he missed. Having the conversation now may save some heartache and hurt feelings later down the road.

dg98adams, we give awards (Bobcat, maybe a belt loop) to boys who fill out an application and pay the fee in the fall before the paperwork hits the council office, giving an award to a boy who joins as part of the spring membership drive feels the same to me. Is there a magic date when all new apps are delayed to June 1? Is the issue around prorating membership fees?

Snow White, yes, that makes sense to me, with the exception that if a Tiger is 7yo now, he should be able to move forward without waiting for June 1, no? Since the requirement is to be in 1st grade or 7yo? And definitely, setting expectations for the parents is key.

I know this probably sounds nitpicky and that June 1 is right around the corner, but I like clarity and understanding, as least as much as possible in BSA!

If a boy has not yet finished kindergarten, but is already 7 years old (but not yet 8), he has met the BSA joining requirements and is able to be a registered Tiger Cub Scout. He may start earning awards as soon as he has turned in his application to his Cubmaster.

A boy who has not yet finished kindergarten, and is not yet 7 years old, has NOT met the BSA joining requirements, and can NOT be registered as a Tiger Cub Scout. He can VISIT Cub Scout meetings and activities as a prospective Scout, but he can NOT earn any Cub Scout awards because he is NOT yet a REGISTERED CUB SCOUT. Once he has either reached his 7th birthday, or completed kindergarten, he can then become a Cub Scout, and his activities can then count toward Cub Scout awards.

How can you earn an organization's award if you are not yet a member of that organization?

BSA uses the date of June 1st as the date that the current school year ends. At that point all youth are considered to have completed their current grades. BSA's computer system, Scoutnet, then automatically "graduates" all current Cub Scouts to their next Cub level, and accepts the applications of new 1st graders as Tiger Cub Scouts.

You're right, sasha, I was not considering a situation where a prospective Tiger is already 7, as that fairly unusual around here.

In his usual manner, ScoutNut has explained it more clearly and eloquently than I can.