Would a Cub Scout Klondike qualify as a day camp?

Most of our Tigers would be able to achieve their Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award but they are lacking the day camp requirement. Day camp in our area isn't even offered until after school ends, meaning most will not achieve this award until they become Wolves. Some of our boys attended the Klondike Derby in February, so I wondered if that would qualify as a day camp in order to achieve the Outdoor Activity Award.

Thanks.

Technically speaking yes it would. According to NCS any district or council day only activity wold be considered a day camp and fall under CSDC standards. HOWEVER traditionally speaking CSDC is the weeklong event.

IMO the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award is specific - and probably more intended to get Cubs to Day camp and Webelos to Resident camp..

------------------

Requirements

All Ranks

Attend Cub Scout day camp or Cub Scout/Webelos Scout resident camp.

------------------

So with all due respect, if Klondike would suffice, then it would list it.

If you have Tigers that have everything else done but Day Camp, get the advancement paper work for the award ready to turn in the 1st day of Day Camp and award the patch the last day of Day camp at the Camp fire to the Tigers.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

A Cub Scout Klondike is merely a winter day camp. We call ours WinterQuest, but its still day camp.

You will find that Day Camps vary widely and wildly across the country.

From Outdoor Program Highlights:

""The camp that comes to the boy," day camp is an accredited, organized, **one- to five-day** program for Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts under trained leadership at an approved site, and is usually held during daylight or early evening hours, but not overnight."

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/resources/CubScoutingHighlights/05.aspx

So, IMO the Cub Scout Klondike fits the above definition and would qualify your Tigers for their Outdoor Activity award.

I'll agree with adams that the broad intent of the requirement is to encourage scouts to attend "real" day camp or resident camp. Now, if the Klondike is all your district offers, or if there are other compelling reasons a Scout couldn't attend day camp, I would probably let it slide.

Schedule shouldn't be an issue. Just because day camp is after school is out doesn't mean the boys can count camp toward the Tiger activity award.

If they are run right, summer camp should be the highlight of the year. If you do the math, a boy gets more scouting in a week a day camp than he does in his den the rest of the year. Leaders should use every arrow in their quiver to get boys to attend. If the activity award is the carrot (or stick?) the scout needs to attend, use it!

Technically, Eagle92, we can split this hair a couple more times. If you want to use national standards and accreditation as the trip wire for the requirement, then you need to ask if mrssand's Klondike was accredited. If that's not split thinly enough, the event should have properly been accredited as a Concil-organized Family Camp, which is a separate level of accreditation and has it own set of national standards (BSA #430-408).

In all honesty, if your council is accrediting it's cub weekends as either a day camp or a resident camp, that's more than most and your folks get a big attaboy for the effort.

(Apologies to the rest of you for the techno-babble amongst us camp school geeks.)(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

2cub,

You know I'm a newbie to the NCS Stuff, but it was my understanding that all district and council events needed to follow those standards. I even asked about this during break, and was told that and that if a volunteer isn't in charge, then usually a pro with the cert is. Again I'm new to the CS side of things.

In reference to my first post, I'm giving my technical answer. However I agree qwith you that it should be the weeklong event. Hence the "traditionally...."

Now in reference to good reasons, I know that my council calls several 1 day events "Day Camp," just ask SCTDAD about that one as we had a thread about it last year. It can be confusing

Also some of our day camps are only 2-3 hours at nite for 3-5 days. Some folks would actually spend more time outdoors at an all day event on a Saturday than at someof the district's CSDCs. I think that's why out prices are so low at $55. Trust me I am pinching pennies.

Once comment I just picked up on, there is no where in the book that says a TC must earn this award. What's wrong with earnign it as a Wolf?

I agree that the general intent is for a cub to attend a standard Day Camp...

Under the idea that any one to five day program, would then include merely a BB Gun - Archery Day, or even the Council Race Finals of PWD... And I dont think anyone would say that a Council PWD program would count towards being a "day camp".

My son also did not earn when he was a Tiger, he did complete at the end of that following summer...

I asked the Camping Director of our Council if our Fall Cub-O-Ree (5pm - Noon following day) would qualify as a Cub Resident Camp. The one-night Fun With Son does count (5pm - 3pm on following day). I was told that it would not. The best way to find out is to check with your Council. It seems like a drive to get more boys active in the Summer Camp programs.

Tigers can get the Outdoor Activity Award by joining during Spring Recruiting and going to a Summer Day Camp. We are told that this is supposed to be one of the enticements of Spring Recruitment.

I can't say that I agree with this, but that is what I was told.

The OAA is pretty simple to achieve, other than the fact that a lot of boys don't attend Summer Camp. I have been pushing Summer Camp and the OAA to get more boys active.

Seems like there is some variety to what councils consider day camps. Our last council was willing to consider any district organized all day event including Cub-0-Ree, summer day camp and the day long CS event at the local Army Base.

They were also willing to use a summer time day camp to either complete one rank's award or to open the next rank's. In other words a scout attending day camp in June could use that for the Outdoor Activity Award for the rank he'd just completed (ie, Tiger) or the rank he was moving into (ie, Wolf) but not both. Our current council has a similar policy.

I would like to see that Council policy in writing. I bet someone is leading you on.

A single day event does not qualify for Day camp for the outdoor activity award. I do not believe the intent of the award was to award for a single day event.

FYI When your scout completes 1st grade he is considered a wolf, second grade bear. It is rare that a Tiger goes to a REAL multiple day camp because they are required to have their parents attend with them.

While I am not for adding requirements, I am all for actually doing the requirements instead of short cutting them. If you do it as a cub you end up with boys who enter boy scouts with funny expectations and usually will drop out.

Why not? If National considers a one-day event a day camp (as posted earlier), then it should count. Just because *your* council holds multi-day Day camps doesn't mean all councils do. Most of our council day camps, and many of the district day camps are one day events.

Council level day camps are held in Fall and Winter, and are one day experiences. Summer is primarily resident camp, but one day Webelos day camps are held, concentrating on some of the outdoor activity badges. These are also one day experience.

The intent of the award is to get the Scout to camp, one day, two days, five days - doesn't matter. It's camp.

These are the first five links that camp up on a google search. All are multi day cub camps.

http://www.crossroadsbsa.org/FunctionsofScoutingMenu/Camping/CubScoutDayCamp/tabid/152/Default.aspx

http://saddlebackdaycamp.org/2010/index.htm

http://www.ocbsa.org/site/c.khKQIWPBIoE/b.4010275/

http://www.fourriversdaycamp.org/index2.htm

http://www.bsacac.org/CampingEvents/Camps_CubDayCamp.php

http://www.cubscoutdaycamp.net/

And directly from national site.

"Day camp is an organized, multiple-day, theme-oriented program for Tiger Cubs and their adult partners, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts. Day camp is conducted by the council/district under trained leadership at an approved site during daylight or early evening hours.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/resources/CubScoutOutdoorProgramGuidelines.aspx

Like I said earlier, DO NOT short cut the requirements to GIVE your cub more bling. I always love a cub that has a shirt full of patches that he has no idea what they are or how he earned them.