Is the Uniform required???? Prove it

Yeah, and as far as I can tell, it was specifically directed at BOR only.

As I was saying, it was the only reference I could find where it was specifically stated that a uniform was not required. And as I can tell, it was specifically directed at BOR only.

Thing is, There is not always a written directive about something.

I am willing to be that getting Cub Scout tattoos while at camp is NOT allowed, but you won't find a policy in any book about it.

So I can imagine that there is no definant written policy stating a requirement for or against uniforms.

Is the uniform required, BSA seems to be somewhat ambiguous about it as they are about many things. I believe that it is very important. Are units within their rights to require a uniform? I believe that it is established that they are. There is a big however....if a unit is going to require a uniform, they should also be prepared to provide one as necessary or they will become exclusive.

I would ask this individual to show you in an official BSA Cub Scout manual where it states the uniform is required. I wouldn't consider information on the BSA website to be official policy unless it is specifically stated it is policy. The data on the BSA website is mostly for informational purposes.

(corrected a typo)(This message has been edited by evmori)

But to absolutely require, or you are not a Scout, no, that is not right, not the intent of the founder

I believe Baden Powell spent a good deal of effort and attention to detail when outfitting his South African Constabulary. Granted, that was a formal policing organization, but I think it says something to his mindset on the importance of the uniform. Maybe some of you traditional scouting experts can add your expertise as to Baden Powells thoughts on the matter?

Perhaps the BSA is being purposely ambiguous in the topic of the uniform for the reasons that many of you touched upon? Im sure none of us would turn away a boy who wants to be a scout because he could not afford a uniform. Speaking for myself, though, I would do all I could to see that the boy got, at a minimum, a cap, shirt, neckerchief and slide. Thats not a complete uniform I know, but it would be enough to let the world know that he is a Scout and give him a sense of belonging to his Den and Pack, as well as Scouting in general. The impact of seeing a group of Cub Scouts marching in a parade in street clothes is just not the same. I wonder how popcorn and other fundraisers would fair if the boys were without uniforms?

A story: my wife attended the Parents Day at my Boy Scout sons summer camp that I was unable to attend. She and other parents were watching a call to assembly at the parade field. As the units filed in she noted most of the boys with partial or no uniforms. When my sons unit filed onto the field they were completely uniformed. My wife told me that there were many comments from the adults assembled about how good they looked. Even my wife, who is no way a scouter, was impressed by their appearance.

YIS

Mike

And to continue with(I hope) your line of logic, DYB-Mike...

I think there will never be an exact diffinative answer for another of many, many reasons, not the least of which is economic circumstances.

I do not just mean a scout who cannot afford a uniform, but also those who are in the middle of the road as far as not being able to afford the ENTIRE uniform at once.

It may be that the parents cannot afford the hats, neckers, patches, belt,belt buckle, socks, shirt, hat and sliders all at one time. They might have to buy two or three things each payday. Add in a book, equipment ( depending on what your troop/pack does) registration fees to BSA and pack/troop fees....well, it can add up. I purposely didn't mention camps or jambos, etc...

Then you have someparents who say :"Sure, you can join, but you earn and pay for everything."

So while BSA wants a scout to wear it completely and correctly, that too is not :"exactly and difinatively required but encouraged.

WHY? Well, I can only give my guess as to why but it sure would be sad to know leaders are chastizing a scout for not wearing the whole thing correctly when he cannot afford too.

Not saying they do not want a scout to wear it correctly, but will not bust a scouts chops because the reason he isn't wearing it completely is due to financila reasons.

Then remember, BSA encourages a scout to earn his own money to pay for it itself. Again, not gonna happen over night.

That is just my opinion of why BSA prpbably doesn't have a plainly written direct statement about uniforms being either required or not.

Edited because I can't spell worth a flip! :)(This message has been edited by scoutfish)