My basic plan so far

And that brings up another question. The 1st weekend of CSI, my wife may be attending a concert with friends out of town. The 3rd weekend,there are no plans for anything ...that I know of.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it so go just for the 1st and 3rd weekends anyways. Money can't be refunded, but can be transfered within that fiscal year to other scouting programs. Of course, I'm not so sure I would ask to have 1/3 of my money transfered.

Still debating wether to go for the two weekends.

I read in here about overtaxing a Den Chief...I think two meeting nights would overtax more! What we have done, and it seems to work well, is our Webelos meet from 6:30-8:00. The Den Chiefs are with the patrols from 6:30-7:00. At 7:00 they go to their Troop Meeting. This way the Webelos Den gets them for 30 minutes, they get to go to their Troop Meeting, and they only have to spend one night on Scouts that week!

"I also see Den Chiefs mention in here alot. Seems that they are used quite frequently. Yeah, I know that it isn't always a success story, but that was something I was willing to do just for their benefit. It doesn't matter to me if it happens or not. "

^^Having den chiefs is to YOUR benefit more so than to theirs

I am also a rising Webelos leader having one year of Bear leadership under my belt. Like you, I am very excited to get started. I haven't had my leader specific training yet, but have reviewed the leader's and scout's handbook. There seems to be a lot of fun activities to do that my scouts (and me) are going to love.

One thing to consider about having meetings on Saturdays are your den families. My scouts have a lot going on weekends (pack outings, sports, family events). So if you have busy families, they may not be able to attend. I know that juggling weeknights are difficult, but after a long hard week at work, having to entertain a group of boys on Saturdays might get old. It would be kind of like hosting a birthday party every month in addition to regular scout duties. But it depends on your den and what their group dynamics are. My pack has the viewpoint of keeping meeting times consistant so that there aren't mixups for parents. We advertise that we meet on Tuesdays and that is one reason parents pick us instead of other packs in the area. So we don't want to do a switcheroo on parents. But again, it is really what your den families want that counts.

For me, I really try to keep my meetings short and sweet. After an hour, I start to get hyper scouts and begin to lose them. They are dedicated scouts, but they are after all, only 8 and 9 years old. :) I read somewhere to keep your scouts wanting more. So I would rather run out of time on activities than them have times of restlessness. It is a lot to hold kids attention for 3 hours unless your working on a special project, imho.

As for planning, I still have to learn the Webelos plan, but in planning my Bear year, I really take weather into account. I would rather do Fitness during warmer weather when they can get outside. Also, in my school district, they cover geology at a certain time in 4th grade. I might do geology at that time for example. I am going to rely on my webelos leader's book and prior webelos den leader's for my guide into planning. No need for me to rewrite the book on a successful program. :)

My mindset is also to get required activities "out of the way" so we don't run into any issues meeting deadlines. Getting the Webelos badges isn't just the activity badges, but earning their God requirements, learning about the boy scout oath, etc. So make sure to allow time for that. Plus, I am a big believer in having time for games. My den loves them. I don't want them to burn out or me for that matter. All work and no play....

My biggest advice for both of us as we enter the Webelos year is KISMIF. Keeping it simple always works best for me. It amazes me how the boys will enjoy something that I thought that didn't have enough razzle dazzle. As long as your program is well rounded and fun, you will satisfy your duty and put out great scouts.

HTH!!!

Scout,

At first glance your plan may seem over kill but there is a lot in there that is good.

Since the Pack planning is set, use the Saturday before for your weekend activity time. Then meet every other Monday except the week of the Pack meeting. That way you are meeting basically once a week as the program calls for. I like your weekend idea, sometimes a casual meeting helps keep the boys coming and the parents, it helps to keep them happy as well. Do not worry if some have conflicts with other sports and such. You can't avoid that. Also the weekend activity could also include the other Webelos den/dens. Possibly get the Troop involved to come and demo some cool Scout Skills.

I know you have time now but I suggest in June have a basic schedule of which Activiy Badges you will be doing each month. Do not do as I have seen in the past, play it by ear. The boys start to catch on and start to sense that this is not a priority for you and do likewise. Be flexible for the unexpected but have a basic schedule.

About Den Chiefs. My experience is that it is best to get one and keep him around all the way thru Webelos. It usually takes a while for the Den Chief to get comfortable in the position and for the Webs to learn to look up to him as a friend and as a leader. I found the informal activities they all spend together to be the best time for them to bond together. Also if you do get one be sure to work with him separately to work out exactly what his responsibilities will be, ie lead the game activity each night. Do not just use him as a gopher or extra set of hands.