Cross the entire Pack over

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as a new ADL this year,I learned that we too will be having a total pack crossover. I didn't know last year, because as a parent, I had prior obligations during the event.

Anyways, it's a formal ceremoni for the cubs who stuck out the entire year. At our "official ceremony" we cross over each rank: Tiger, Wolve, Bear..etc and when the cross the bridge, they are handed a book and neckerchief of the next CS rank.

When the Webelos cross over, we use AO Indians and go bit more ceremonious ( is that a word?).

It's all in fun and inclusion for all the lower cub ranks and helpsthem understand tyhe signifigance of the Webelos crossing over to Boy Scouts.

Well we did something kind of like that too, but not until June. For Tigers, Wolves, and Bears, they do not move on to the next rank until the end of the school year (many councils use June 1 as their roll-over date). Even if they have earned their rank badges, there are still lots of electives, etc. to do within their rank while thye finish out the year. And besides, it is just March - what do you mean, Scoutfish, about those who stuck it out the "whole year??" Surely your pack doesn't fold from April to October?? Those are the best months for scouting (weather is nicer)!

We did the same thing, but we didn't call it crossover. It was usually held at the May pack campout. All the boys moved up a grade and were presented the neckerchief for the next year. One thing we did I though was cool was since the rising Webelos IIs didn't need a new necker, the were given a scout nametag which was something special for those guys.

Crossover is moving from one BSA program (Cub Scouts) to a different BSA program (Boy Scouts). This is usually done by the 5th grade Webelos in February or March at a fancy ceremony which includes reps from the BS Troops they are "crossing" into.

Graduation is when all of the Cub Scouts "graduate" from one Cub level to the next (Tiger to Wolf, etc). This happens at the end of the school year, usually in late May, early June, and is usually done with a fun ceremony. We give the Scouts their new Handbooks and scarves at this ceremony. BSA National's computer system, ScoutNet, uses June 1st as the national graduation date for all Cub levels, and is when newly graduated kindergarteners are allowed to register as Tiger Cub Scouts.

We also graduate the entire pack, including the 4th grade Webelos. Everyone receives a new necker and slide, except the new Webelos II's who receive a compass.

Now my pack and others in my area do this at the last formal meeting in May. Traditionally the school year ended before Memorial Day, but recently the state ended that. However b/c there is talk of that being changed again, plus traditions are heard to break, May is the end of the year for most packs. Luckily my pack does do things every two weeks over the summer.

And as mentioned, SCOUTNET uses June 1.

The pack I serve as UC built a Cub machine, which they use at the last pack meeting of the school year, which is the last Thursday of May. It's basically a large wall with lights to indicate which Cub group is going in and coming out (T to W, W to B, B to Web). They also have a series of sound effects looped on a boom box. Behind the wall, the neckerchief and hat get replaced. I'm not sure if they give them the new books, as I never paid that close attention. They use a small bridge as an entry way.

The large bridge is saved for the Webelos to Boy Scouts crossover, which is done as a separate event, usually in March.

It's overkill to cross every rank over. To me, it diminishes the significance of the Web 2's accomplishment of crossing over finally after 5 years in the program. Our pack still has a tiger crossover which seems pointless since they are involved in every aspect of cub scouts, from fund raising to wearing the uniform. Back when they only wore the orange shirts, it had some significance, but not any more.

From a practical standpoint, why hand out new neckerchiefs in the spring when there are no guarantees that they will return in the fall?

Zippy,

Every pack does things differently. Around here it says that you are moving up, more is expected of you, and you can now start working on your next rank and set of electives, SCOUTNET and the June 1 aside. This is done the Monday before Memorial Day, and gives the folks the chance to wear their new neckers and slides for the Memorial Day Weekend service project we do.

As for retention, we have some good success there. IF the new scouts last until may, they usually are with us the whole time. And we do fun stuff over the summer.

Back when I was a CM, we did Webelos crossover in February/March, and then had an end of the school year graduation during a pack meeting. To zippy's point, some might not come back, but a nice celebration at year end could also improve retention.

One time we made a ridiculous looking machine to process the scouts to the next level. Another time we recognized the existing 4th grade Webelos dens first, since the 5th graders had left months before. Then the Webelos scouts ceremoniously changed the neckerchiefs on each of the younger dens.

A little ceremony is fine and I appreciate any excuse to eat cake.

-R

Crossover, Graduation, Bridging. Its all semantics. Each Pack has their own tradition. In the end it is a celebration of the end of one year in Cub Scouts and the start of a new one. The more hype you put into it the more it encourages the boy to come back in the Fall. Also an active Summer program helps a ton.

And no, having a Crossover ceremony for each rank does NOT take away from the significance of Crossing over to Boy Scouts.

One Pack I was in used a bridge during the final Akelas Council meeting in June. The other one just recognizes the boys at the June meeting. Either way is fine. BTW Schools here go until the 3 week of June.

We do a crossover ceremony at the last pack meeting of the year. The boys walk over a short bridge that is conveniently located near our meeting place, and the CM hands them their book and neckerchief for the next rank. I like it because it lets the boys know that they can start working on requirements for their new rank. It also acknowledges that they will be attending summer camps as their new rank.

This mini-ceremony takes nothing away from the Webelos to Boy Scout crossover, in part because traditionally in our pack, only the Webelos II families attend that ceremony, which also incorporates AOL. As one parent recently put it, 'the Web IIs just sort of disappear'. We are working to change that.

We do a Neckerchief ceremeony of the boys at our June family campout...during the campfire program. parents come down with new neckers and then boys are called down by den. Then we do a fun reading for the Akela and their son...

For Webelos, its just the bears to webelos, they then announce their patrol name to the group (supposedly kept secret by the boys until then), and their new patrol yell !!

Several racoons were fighting the night before over garbage, so the boys decided to call themselves the Rowdy Racoons !