Posting photos on the web

Is there an official policy in regards to publishing photographs of Cubs on the web? I'm seeing more and more of this, especially on Face Book. It was a little disturbing to me to see my son's entire Arrow of Light ceremony on Face Book last spring, he happened to be standing next to the son of someone who is my FB friend and so was included in every shot. And this experience has been repeated several times as scout parents and leaders publish photos from camping, pack meetings, field trips, etc.

On the one hand, I would like to know when photos of my sons are being published on the web, on the other hand, I don't see any way to effectively prevent it. Thoughts?

There are guidelines for unit web sites:

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/Marketing/Resources/UnitWeb.aspx

And for units who use social networking sites:

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/Marketing/Resources/SocialMedia.aspx

However, as you stated, you can't really control what other parents do with pictures of your kid taken in a group situation. Or for that matter, proud grandparents! You can hope that they don't identify your kid by name, and that they control who can see the pictures. You probably can see the photos because you're a "friend" of the poster - or a "friend of a friend". Of course if the Facebook member has their photo access set to "everyone" then they're out there for the world to see.

I believe now when you upload, you get asked who can have access to the photos. I would hope that parents would care enough about their own child's safety that they would protect those pictures, and then by extension their friends.

GOOD QUESTION and those links will provide answers. Heck I think I need to send them to my pack leadership as we started a FB page. Fortunately for us, it is set by invitation only. Only non-Pack members that are allowed in the group are the CO's SM, CO's CA, DE, SE and UC (although the UC is also a member of the CO).

infoscouter gives a great resource, one that too many units tend to ignore. Our unit has an opt-out form that is supposed (most do, some we never get back) to be signed at recharter time. It basically states that unit functions are held in a "public venue" and thus photos taken by anyone, parents, local paper, relatives are considered to be in public domain unless you specifically opt out of your child being in the photos.

Its dang near impossible to prevent someone from taking a picture at an event and posting it where ever they please. Unless there is a child custody or protective custody order with regards to a specific scout, I doubt your concerns are very valid.

Heck, a photographer (preverse, professional, amature or otherwise) can sit at the public park and take pictures all day of kids playing or soccer games or little league games, whatever. Its a public space and as far as I know in most cities, it is NOT a crime. Would it make me feel unconfortable? Maybe. Am I going to stop my kid from participation in activities because someone might take an unauthorized photo? Heck no, we can't live our lives in fear.

If it a big concern for your unit, then have a parents meeting and address the issue. Probably best if photo postings are limited to password protected web sites or just e-mailed between individuals. Places like FB are kind of fuzzy, because many of my 'friends' on FB I don't know too well, or haven't seen in years. I just choose not to be paranoid that someone is trolling a social site looking for specific fodder of young boys. Heck a quick google search would supply them with far more graphic fare than anything they'd get from a few scouting pics anyways.

As far as youth protection, adult supervision, the buddy system, etc will do far more in protecting our boys from the "boggie man" than any attempt to censor their image on the net.