Webelos and the Year of Celebration patch

My Pack is just now getting started on this. I was wondering how should I work with the Webelos? They are all Second Year and will move up to Boy Scouts next year. Can they do half a year with Cub requirements and finish what they need with Boy Scout requirements? Or should they try to finish before the end of the "year"/Cross over? Any thoughts?

Diana Houser

Pack 32 Cubmaster

Let the boys do what they can as Webelos II and if they want they can finish off as Scouts later. Just remeber that 12/31/10 is the last date to earn ribbons. They don't have to earn all the ribbons either. The program doesn't need to be done as a pack either. Each boy can pursue a ribbon at his own pace or not do one if he chooses.

This is addressed in the FAQs for the patch program:

"Can a Cub Scout carry over completed requirements to a Boy Scout troop?

Yes. Before the Cub transitions from their den to their troop, their completed requirements must be entered. Go to the online form to enter the completed requirements, and indicate that no ribbons were completed. You may print a record of this by clicking on the Print an order form link. Then, it is the responsibility of the Cubs parent or guardian to notify the troops Scoutmaster that he is coming in with completed requirements which do count toward a Year of Celebration ribbon."

http://ww2.scouting.org/100years/100years/sitefiles/1000/YourSource/PlanningTools/YOC/YOC_FAQ.pdf