Den dues- who "holds" them, Pack or Den? (really long)

Losing den leaders for writing names and dollar amount on an envelop?????? Then turning it into the treasurer.

IF that is the case they probably were not very good any how.

then how do you know who has paid and who has not??????? Is it fair if one boy isn't paying when the others are.

they don't have to track the money, the treasurer does it for them.

My pack never charged den dues until I started it last year. My den is still the only one that charges them. I used the money to buy good wood for tool boxes last year and this year as Webelos I we are using the money to do some craftsman projects. I don't believe in creating useless junk from recycled tin cans and yarn, milk jug bird feeders, etc. My boys made beautiful pine tool boxes that will last their lifetime.

I kept the dues and turned them into the pack treasurer for a pack check to pay for items. I kept dues envelopes with each boys name, payment status and attendence, and uniform status on them. You can get them at your local scout store. A new envelope for each month. If a boy missed a payment he was expected to catch up at his next visit. The plan was discussed at the beginning of the year with all the parents. No objections.

This year the parents decided that they'd just pay the project fees when needed instead of weekly dues. No other den charges for projects, but no one else makes things like we do. Real leather costs real money, so does good wood.

No leader should ever be expected to "just pay for it themselves". Whether the parents or the pack reimburse the leader the leader should and needs to be reimbursed. A scout pays his own way. Preferrably the kid does a chore and earns an allowance to pay for his activities. Teach him about the real world now. You go to work, get paid, pay your bills.

It's hard enough to get leaders, tough to get good leaders. If you expect your leaders to foot the bill for 4-10 extra kids beyond his/her own you'll never keep them. In this economy it's not fair or right expect someone to pay your kids way. At 50 cents a week/$2 a month tops, depending on how often your kids meet, all the leader could buy is a fun patch for an activity or a belt loop or pin each month.

It toasts my buns to hear parents complain about a yearly total of $100-$400 (includes registration, books, uniforms and camps, etc)to have a boy in cubs. But they'll shell out hundreds for video game systems, fancy clothes, and thousands for youth sports travel teams. They'll drop a few hundred dollars on junior's birthday party but fuss about $10 for a good quality, long lasting wallet kit. Video games don't teach citizenship and self reliance.

Ask the DL for some specific uses of the money and if they are acceptable allow the practice to continue. If he/she hedges and has no clear cut plan, put a stop to it. BUT DON"T EXPECT THE LEADERS TO FOOT ALL THE BILLS for den and pack activities and projects.

Also, in a rapidly expanding pack such as yours what was once the status quo may be undoable now. With the popuation boom comes an increased financial out lay. Your pack maybe able to absorb it for a year or 2 but it may become impossible in the future. My pack doubled, nearly tripled in the course of 2 years. Three years later we're running a very fine line in the financial department. The rush of low consuming (few awards costs)Tigers and Wolves has turned into a bumper crop of high consuming Webelos (lots of awards, very active). We now can't afford to do as we have in the past. Your DL may just be a forward thinker.

Your DE has no say so in where and/or when a den in your unit meets.

Your CO (Charter Organization) is supposed to supply a meeting place, however, a den is not obligated to utilize it.

A den leader's home is the traditional place for den meetings to take place. Nothing wrong with it. With 2 boys and 2+ adults (spouse is also at home) there is no youth protection issue, so why were you against this arrangement?