Timing of Ceremonies

This is similar to some issues discussed in other threads but different enough that I've started a new one.

Suppose you have a Scout who all throughout the program has been one of those exceptionally high achievers. His Webelos 1 year he is 9 when he starts 4th grade and because he has an early birthday turns 10 in September. During the summer and fall he completes all requirements for AoL except for being active for six months since his birthday. (This requires some work with the Web 2's.) No question he can earn AoL in March and is eligible to cross over then.

Pack tradition is for a big outdoor fireside AoL ceremony with OA, etc. at a campout (warm climes) in January and similarly a big outdoor crossover at Blue and Gold in February. These are of course normally for Web 2's.

Scout could have his own reduced AoL/crossover in March or April (after his "half-birthday") at a pack meeting, but that would be pretty anti-climactic after just seeing the other guys', especially when he's always been the high achiever. Doesn't make sense to blow up the whole pack calendar and postpone the big ceremonies just in case he does this - won't know until December or so if he has made it anyway, and also wouldn't be fair to the Web 2's. Could also make him wait another whole year, but let's assume he's already been in for 4 years and is ready for something new, has earned everything there is in the book, and also has the maturity to cross over. He could stay and be a leader to the younger boys, but he's the sort that was a leader even when he *was* one of the younger boys.

So, the question is - knowing he's met all other requirements and that all he has to do is mark time, would you let him participate in the big AoL and crossover ceremonies, but only sign off on (and issue) the award and fill out a registration form in March? Or do you hold him off and do his own mini-ceremony in March or April, and that's just the price of choosing to cross over as soon as he is eligible instead of waiting for his "class"?

I suppose one could argue he might not remain "active" the extra few weeks between the crossover and 10.5 to fully meet that requirement, but that seems a small risk if he has been very active up until that point, especially when he still needs signoff to earn the card and he needs the card to cross over before he is 11. So it really comes down to timing of the ceremony.

I can see the perspective of being a stickler, but then again, it's about the boys, right? Is it any different than doing a pack graduation where everyone symbolically moves up to the next rank and gets their new scarves, etc. - but to avoid conflict with summer vacations, holding it a week before school is out when they technically become eligible?

I'm of two minds, so I appreciate your opinions.

He should not go though the ceremonies in January or February. Like it or not he has not finished the requirements. I don't know about where you are, but we have a district crossover in March/April. If not, there is the possibility that something could be arranged with the OA for during the spring camporee (assuming that your district has one).

But if it were me, I'd encourage him to stay with the other 4th graders, relax and have a bit of fun and learn that leaders don't just run ahead, they stick it out with their crew.