Webelos Advancement Coordinator

Has anyone had any experience with the new Webelos Advancement Coordinators that are being implemented into each District's staffing? This is a brand new position that National created back in July and is mandating for each District due to the poor transition of Webelos Scouts over to Boy Scouts.

Based upon the latest numbers from National less that 33% of all Webelos Scouts ever join a Boy Scout Troop. They are hoping that this new staff position will help increase that number since they will be working directly with every Webelos 2 Scout in their District. This program and the Arrow of Light direct to Tenderfoot program should be a big help.

So, if anyone has already started working with their Webelos Advancement Coordinator, especially in regards to creating a Transition Plan for each of their Webelos 2 Scouts, I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Webelos Advancement Coordinators?

Have to admit to never having heard about such an animal.

Did a search on the BSA web site and nothing came up.

But I never can find stuff there!!

I really think that a Webelos Scout Fun Coordinator might keep more of the little fellows in Scouting.

Eamonn.

Is this a new name for the Webelos to Scout Transition Coordinator?

Don't know but the way the folks from National explained it to us was that this was a brand new position that they had just created this past July. Perhaps it's something that they are reintroducing with a new emphasis.

National is just like the government, create a new position on staff rather than looking at the Webelos program itself. Problem #1 - two years is one year too long to expect the boys to stay interested in Webelos, they get bored and drop out, period. Problem #2 - every pack should have a troop or two that the boys participate with, at least in their second year.