Webelos Den Camping

Obviously not all rules fit nicely into each specific situation one comes across. I would think that the SE of the council is the go-to person for what one can expect for some clarification. When that doesn't work, the SE contacts the national office for further clarification. After all the i's are dotted and t's crossed and one gets national approval, I assume it's a go for the boys.

As far as the SM is concerned, it is the #1 reason why I'm now a SM myself in a different troop.

In our council, tour permits are necessary where travel to an event outside of council is required. This has been their interpretation of the policy for the past 20 years and until there be a change in such policy everyone assumes along the same lines. I'm sure the Tiger cubs DL doesn't do a tour permit every time they visit the local post office, museum or airport. The council camp used to require a local permit every time anyone was at an event regardless of who drove. They dropped that policy when it became impossible to enforce. I have boys that live closer to the camp than they do to our meeting place. Now all we have to provide is a list of who's attending.

If I needed a permit for my Venturing Crew it would require one every time we met anywhere because the CO doesn't provide a meeting place. It's an arrangement that we have had for the past 10+ years. It works for our situation but 3-4 tour permits a month would be a waste of time as far as our council is concerned. In this day and age, my DE knows that a simple quick phone call can locate the crew any time there's a problem.

If the council required paperwork for the sake of paperwork, we would comply, but they have made it known that that is not necessary.

Stosh