Blue and Gold Bridge

When my son was a Cub, our pack started a new tradition involving the crossover bridge. The planks are made of 2 X 4's and there are probably about 15 of them. The near end of the bridge says "Goodbye to Cub Scouts" and the far end says "Welcome to Boy Scouts". Both ends have appropriate symbols.

The first Webelos den to crossover took off the first plank a week or so prior to their Blue and Gold. Each boy then signed the plank, as did the leaders. Webelos Den name and symbol went on, too. An adult then either routed or wood burned the signatures into the plank. the plank was then urethaned and placed back onto the bridge. There was now a permanent record of those boys crossing over. It has been about five or six years since that tradition started.

Yesterday, the current crop of Webelos crossed over the bridge and saw the names of those who had gone before them. Some of those names belong to the Boy Scouts who welcomed them at the other side.

The last plank on the bridge is reserved for any boys who earn Eagle who once belonged to the pack. Within another year or so, names will be going on that plank.

It's inspiring to watch the bridge fill up with names every year. I think it gives the boys a sense of history.

We have a similar tradition now. Last year the ACM redid our bridge and that was the first group to add their names. Our boys have the names burned in by the den leader.

I like the idea of maybe adding a eagle next to any boys names that become Eagles.

Ours will be around about 20 years as long as it's taken care of