Can Asst Den Leader earn Leader Training Knots?

Before today, I would have never even imagined that this would be a question I'd post here. To me, if you're registered to be a leader (Den, Co, Asst, whatever) at a level, and you put in the time to do the requirements, then you've earned the thread. Leadership is leadership, and we should encourage and reward leaders.

But during a training session today, it was suggested that Asst Den Leaders might not be eligible for an award because of the language in the Leader Training Award requirements *technically* would exclude them:

Webelos Den Leader Award, Performance Requirements, Requirement #4:

Have an assistant Webelos den leader who meets regularly with your Webelos den.

Requirement #12:

Hold regular den meeting and activity planning sessions with your assistant den leader.

Source: usscouts.org, "Scoutings Knots: Webelos Den Leader Award", updated 2/28/08

Now, if we're going to get into minutiae here, a leader only has to complete 7 of the 12 performance requirements to qualify under this section, so technically, an ADL could just try to pick two different requirements.

But my real question is whether or not Scouting intentions are to recognize and award the DL, or extend this to the ADL who completes the requirements?

Perspective?

Assistant Den Leaders cannot earn the Webelos Den Leader Training Award, that's pretty plain. It says, "Complete one year as a registered Webelos Den Leader." Pretty clean, eh?

However, they can earn the Cub Scouter Training Award, you can be in any registered position for two years to qualify "Complete two years as a registered adult leader in Cub Scouting in a pack.

Cub Scouter Award

I know that there are a lot of people who like to quote the books, so here is one to answer the question that is posed.

Here is the link to the page where this informaiton can be found

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/CSLeaderRecAwards.aspx

Here is the requirements for the Cub Scout Leader (Note: It does Den Leader or Anything like that. Just says leader.)

Tenure

-Complete two years as a registered adult leader in a Cub Scout pack.

Training

-Complete Fast Start training, if available for your position.

Complete New Leader Essentials and specific training for any Cub Scouting position.

-Complete Youth Protection training.

-During each year of tenure for this award, participate in a Cub Scout Leader pow wow or university of Scouting, or attend at least four roundtables.

Performance

Do five of the following:

-Assist in planning a pack program that results in advancement in rank by a minimum of 50 percent of pack members each year.

-Serve as an adult leader related to a pack that earns the national Quality Unit Award.

-Serve as leader of a blue and gold dinner, pinewood derby, space derby, raingutter regatta, field day, picnic or other Cub Scout pack activity.

-Give leadership to a promotional effort that results in at least 60 percent of pack families subscribing to Boys? Life magazine.

-Develop or update a Tiger Cub or Cub Scout den activity book listing local places to go, things to do, costs, distances, etc., for the five Tiger Cub areas, or for at least 12 Cub Scout themes.

-Give leadership to planning and conducting a pack service project.

Organize participation of a pack in the Cub Scout Academics and Sports program.

-Help conduct two annual pack Friends of Scouting campaigns.

-Serve as a leader for members of your pack attending a Cub Scout day camp or resident camp.

-Serve one year as pack trainer, during which time 75 percent of registered pack leaders complete basic training for their positions.

I know there is a lot of stuff to read but it is right there in black and white. This is for the knot. There is nothing saying that you cannot award them a nice certificate of appreciation.

The Cub Scout Award can be earned by any registered pack leader. Other Cub Scout awards are for specific registered positions:

Tiger Cub Den Leader Award

Cub Scout Den Leader Award (Wolf/Bear)

Webelos Den Leader Award

Cubmaster Award

Pack Trainer Award

The Scouting.org link provided by SctDad is current, correct, and official. Other internet sites may or may not have correct or current infomation.