Where was the "Service" in our Service Project?

This is in behalf of my wife, who is currently serving as a Den Leader.

The other day our pack did a service project picking up trash at a local city park. This was a fairly well planned activity. My wife attended all the planning meetings and it was her impression that everyone understood all the vital details (when, where, who, what, how, etc...). My wife (being 7 months pregnant) had a special request that the ACM make sure to assist her with her den. There are a couple more active boys in her den and she felt she needed another leader to run after boys or whatever came up. The ACM assured her she would be there to assist my wife. My wife does have an assistant den leader, but due to a recent health issue she could not participate in the service project.

Long story, short - Neither the Cubmaster nor the ACM (who was going to assist my wife) bothered showing up at the park. No calls, no explanation, no apologies after... just NO SHOW. I was watching our kids at home so my wife could go and I felt she was fine since they arranged with the ACM to assist her. I believe one other Den Leader and a couple parents did show up. My wife did get some help from a parent and the leader, but they had to cut the project short because there were just not enough leaders.

Well, I was livid. I have served as Cubmaster. I felt there was simply no excuse for the CM to just abandon the pack. What did this teach the boys about service on a Service Project? I told my wife if I was one of the cub leaders, I'd be on the phone with the CM that night asking where she was and why she didn't even bother to call or make sure her ACM even showed. I also told her that I would get the patches they planned to present to the boys and hand them out in the next pack meeting - but exclude the CM and ACM...

Just as a side note - our CM seems to be less and less "enthusiastic" about her position; dodging assignments, cutting out at pack meetings, canceling activites because of "personal issues". So this was just par for the course.

I was not pleased. It's been a day or two now and I have cooled off. But I wanted to post this story and get some feedback on how you would handle this situation if you were a Cub Leader in our pack.

Thanks

Eagle Pete

My experience has been that after recruiting help for a project, Scouting or anything else, its a good idea follow up frequently with those you've recruited. The night before, "Hi, just thought I call and touch base. See you tomorrow morning."

Sorry, I left out this detail -

They had a pack meeting the night before the Service Project. This seemed like a great time to make the final announcement for the activity and make sure everyone knows where, what time, and who should be there.

My wife did confirm with the ACM that she would be there. The CM bailed early from the pack meeting as usual so we could not talk with her.

We thought this was sufficient follow up. I guess not.

Eagle Pete

Share your concerns with the CM and ACM, separately. There may be a backstory you've not heard, and an opportunity to give more to help them out.

OTOH, they may have hit the high water mark of caring. In that case, share your concerns with the Committee Chair. He/she has the authority to discuss key people changes with the Chartered Organization Rep. Be Prepared, though, to step up to the plate.

Have your wife and other den leaders, present at the clean-up, hand out the patches to the boys, great idea. Do it at a time and place where the CM and ACM are not present; Naw! Not a good idea and a bit over reactive to what transpired. This is more of a personal issue with and your in-need wife not getting the help promised and the obvious lack of pack leadership.

Ok

They're not really going to oust the CM and ACM. That was just me blowing off some steam.

Still, I am disappointed in the Cubmaster. Having served in that position before, I know what it takes, how the boys look up to her/him, and the example the CM is (should be) for the boys.

IMHO, the Cubmaster should be present at EVERY event, meeting, activity, and get-together which the boys are involved with.

The Cubmaster should also be aware that the boys are observant, smart, and are very much aware of the attitudes and level of care their leaders have for them.

Additionally, every event should have a purpose. The purpose of a Cub Scout Service Project is first, and foremost, to introduce and teach the boys that service is a big part of Scouting.

I am on the outside now, looking in on this pack - just observing (although I do what I can. I volunteered to help run the Pinewood this year. That was a great event - different story). It just pains me to watch the Cubmaster fail those boys. It's hard to see them coming to Pack meetings and service projects, hoping to have a fun time at Cub Scouts, and see them walk away with that look in their eyes, you know, like, "that wasn't so great.." I wonder how many of those boys I will see come up in the Troop (where I am currently serving). How much triage will I end up doing to get them excited about Scouting again?

Thanks for the feedback.

Eagle Pete

Howdy Eagle Pete,

I think you're right about the CM being present at every outing and activity. I find it odd that the CM would cut out early from a Pack Meeting. Seems to me that she's showing what not to do to the boys and their parents. I was given an award once, they called it the Iron Man award. Got it from the den leaders of the Pack. Without trying I managed to attend every Pack Meeting, Outing, and Activity for 3 years straight, so they gave me this award. It was a lot of fun.

You have every right to feel frustrated and perturbed. But be careful venting to the current CM, she may want you to take her place, doesn't sound like she's too committed to the job at any rate.

Good luck

You know, this might be the wrong time for this person to be CM. She might be in that position because she couldn't say no, or she thought she'd have time and didn't realize the scope of the commitment. Or she might have felt that if she didn't do it, no one else would. Or her circumstances might have changed and she is no longer able to do it. Chances are good that she realizes she isn't doing the best job. You, as the past CM, are probably not the best person to have that conversation with her unless you are already good friends - and that doesn't sound like the case here. The difficulty is that whatever you say may come across sounding like "you are not doing it the way I did it."

So a little evaluation may be in order. I don't blame you and your wife for being annoyed. I think it is reasonable for your wife (not you) to let the CM and ACM (especially the ACM) know her sentiment. But I think it needs to be the CC or the COR who has the conversation with the CM about whether CM is the right position for her. And I think you'd want to consider if there is someone else ready who will do that job if she steps down, before you push the point.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand perfectly the CM or ACM not showing up due to family or professional responsibilities. However, I do not understand broken promises. Common courtesy and respect for others dictates that we call those when we are unable to show up for an outing when we promised we would be there.

As mentioned earlier, be ready to step up to leadership. If not, then you might not need to say anything.