Pack sponsored activities

For all Pack events, except council/district summer camps, our Pack covers the cost for the Scout. Other family members, including parent Scouters, must pay for themselves, if there is a fee.

When we go to baseball or hockey games, our Pack pays for a bus.

Pack family camps are no cost to the participants. The Pack picks up the entire cost. Sometimes we will have each family bring 1 dish or food item.

There is a minimal charge for everyone (except for kids under 4) for our Blue & Gold dinner. This year it was $7 for adults & $5 for kids.

This varies widely by pack. The two packs I was part of tended to pay for Blue & Gold dinner but never would have considered chartering a bus to go to ball games, etc.

It also depended on how fundraising (read: popcorn sales) went that year. In good years, we paid for the boys to receive their new book, scarf, or both for the next rank. Some years we paid for or subsidized the cost of other events like lock ins and field trips. And we tried to provide each den with a materials allowance for the year. (The first pack we belonged to did not do that - dens could collect den dues if they wanted money for supplies). In not-so-good years we were more thrifty.

We always paid for awards, entertainment of various sorts at B&G (I never could convince the pack committee to do the OA dancers or just pack entertainment)

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the fund raising, which is usually good. My pack pays for most everything that we do.

Blue and Gold is paid for; we ask that all families that come bring a cover dish. All the awards are paid for throughout the year. All the trips that we go on the cubs are always paid for and most of the time one parent is taken care of. All leaders and their families are paid for first for all the work that they do. Family camping is not paid for by the pack, the pack however pays for the Saturday night dinner.

When crossing over to the next level all boys get the next book and slide, the parents get the scarf. We feel that it is important for the parents to contribute to this because it is an important event. Our picnic is also paid for and the tee shirts. Webelos Woods is paid for by pack funds also.

We have a very aggressive fund raising committee and between popcorn, car washes, sponsored auction and candy we raise quite allot. We are going to hold our first tag sale this fall and see how that goes. I have heard that some Troops and Packs bring in over $2500.00 just in the tag sale.

I as the Cub Master also challenge the Pack and the leaders; if we reach a certain amount by a certain time I will do something crazy. Something that will stick in the kids minds for the rest of their lives. This year I said that if we reach $4000.00 I would jump off a pier into the ocean in the dead of winter. All of the people in the pack enjoyed that. I always put it out to the kids and the leaders at the end of the year so they can think about it over the summer and we decide on what they want me to do and than I set the amount and we all go for it. This always works great.

Lifer EKM

WOW! Popcorn candy sales, car washes, auctions, and now a tag (rummage?) sale! That's a awful lot of fundraising. Then you add on top of that fundraising for school & other activities. Your families must be pretty burned out with fundraising. How do you find the time to do the fun stuff you are fundraising for?

ScoutNut,

You should know, just like everything else in life you just make it happen. I am lucky to have parents who are starting to see the bigger picture here. My leaders are very stead fast about the comittment to the Scouting program. Once the parents and the kids see the benifits of their hard work it makes things that much more simple.

EKM