INCREASING PACKS INVOLVMENT AT RT

Well, I have been a Boy Scout Commissioner for three years and Roundtable Staff before that.

Communcations: Email everyone, If you can not email everyone - call the Scoutmaster and the Committee Chairman. Also send try to send them postcards.

Location: Have it the same location and time. 3rd week of the month at the College.

Program: Develop a program and promote it. Tell the leaders that everything is also subject to change. Things happen. Bring in guest speakers and have each unit run the program at the roundtable. If you need ideas for the roundtable try looking at Old issues of boys Life and Scouter Magazine. Also have a backup program for the roundtable.

Last Thing: Have Fun.

From my experience, gathering a top-notch staff will really help make things go right. In our RT (I am the CSRTC) we have a woman who coordinates a "gathering activity" - sometimes a game, sometimes a project, just something small and quick and theme-related that folks can do as they arrive, before they take their seats. Then we have a general session - opening skit, a song, some outdoor and theme related idea sharing, a training highlight, then breakout sessions. I have a really fun guy who takes Cub denleaders to one table, where they make crafts, sing songs, play games - it's a full-on cirsuc at their table. An enthusiastic woman leader Webelos leaders in discussions and hands-on experiments based on the Webelos program. Another lady leads the CC's and CM's thru some discussion topics and pack issues - rotating themes, these discussions can take off in any direction. After a 25 minute breakout, we all join back up for show-n-tell of what everyone did, and then some quick announcements, and off to snack. I provide a theme-related snack and everyone can munch and talk, share ideas and enjoy time with fellow scouters. We "end" at 8:30, but it's not uncommon to still be there at 9:15.

I think the place to start is refining your program. Gather your staff, guide them thru how you want your RT to flow. Get everyone on the same page. Use the RT guide as your jumping off point. Once everyone is comfortable with how they do things, let them be creative. Veer off from the printed games and songs. With an unlimited source of online information, bring new ideas to folks. And market your program. Put up signs in your scout store or office. Call CM's and CC's on the phone and invite them to come check things out. Go to camp-o-rees and district pinewoods and daycamps, and talk to adults.

From my experience, gathering a top-notch staff will really help make things go right. In our RT (I am the CSRTC) we have a woman who coordinates a "gathering activity" - sometimes a game, sometimes a project, just something small and quick and theme-related that folks can do as they arrive, before they take their seats. Then we have a general session - opening skit, a song, some outdoor and theme related idea sharing, a training highlight, then breakout sessions. I have a really fun guy who takes Cub denleaders to one table, where they make crafts, sing songs, play games - it's a full-on cirsuc at their table. An enthusiastic woman leader Webelos leaders in discussions and hands-on experiments based on the Webelos program. Another lady leads the CC's and CM's thru some discussion topics and pack issues - rotating themes, these discussions can take off in any direction. After a 25 minute breakout, we all join back up for show-n-tell of what everyone did, and then some quick announcements, and off to snack. I provide a theme-related snack and everyone can munch and talk, share ideas and enjoy time with fellow scouters. We "end" at 8:30, but it's not uncommon to still be there at 9:15.

I think the place to start is refining your program. Gather your staff, guide them thru how you want your RT to flow. Get everyone on the same page. Use the RT guide as your jumping off point. Once everyone is comfortable with how they do things, let them be creative. Veer off from the printed games and songs. With an unlimited source of online information, bring new ideas to folks. And market your program. Put up signs in your scout store or office. Call CM's and CC's on the phone and invite them to come check things out. Go to camp-o-rees and district pinewoods and daycamps, and talk to adults.