Software For Cub Scouts

Software For Cub Scouts

http://www.twice.com/blog/170000217/post/1760006176.html

January 3, 2007

I get inundated on a regular basis by companies pushing new software titles, but yesterday I ran across something new.

While helping assemble the Pinewood Derby race track for my sons pack, I found myself helping to install a very high-tech scoring and race management software system from a company called eTekgadget that is designed specifically for these type of races.

Who would have thought the old tried-and-true method of watching the finish line and shouting out the winners needed to be replaced?

Even though I tend to be a traditionalist when it comes to such things, I have to admit the system is neat. It uses light sensors to track who finishes when, then the software populates a spreadsheet with the time and car speed and it keeps tabs on each kids cumulative time over the course of six races. And it was easy to install.

Of course being modern, one other dad helping was trying to figure out how to attach his LCD projector to the device so the scores could be flashed onto a movie screen and I wondered if the next version would use Wi-Fi so we would not have to tape down so many wires.

Im sure in a few years the kids will simply use a CAD system to design their cars and the entire race will take place on a computer. Im all for this considering the Olenicks entry last year looked as if it were built by an enraged, incompetent carpenter. Oh wait, that was me.

Doug Olenick

WHy would you need anything more high tech than some people at the end of the track "eyeballing" the winners? How about this...because once upon a time I was involved in a pack where some leaders/parents including the CM literally came to blows - in front of the scouts - over exactly such a decision rule, in a very close race. Many families left the pack as a direct result and the pack was thrown into crisis. Those of us remaining (who had nothing to do with the above disgraceful adult behavior) were left to try and pick up the pieces of a pack that had exploded. Not fun. Not fun. Not fun.

One of the best decisions the pack committee made following that debacle was to buy an electronic timing device. Saved us from ever having to go down that particular road again. Plus the kids thought it was cool to see their actual times and just how close most of them really were.

So "thumbs up" from me for this particular e-gadget.

In response to Lisabob's story of the pinewood derby race gone awry...

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,

Gone are the days when your word was your honor, and a handshake meant a deal. We now have contracts, lawyers, legal instuments, courts, lawsuits, etc.

Loyal,

Selfishness - that's what this is all about. That's what causes mariages and families to be torn apart. What does it say to our boys to disregard the loyalty and brotherhood we claim to be apart of.

Helpful,

Just as a reminder, not all of us are expert pinewood derby car builders. Not all of us have precision tools to make the perfect car, nor the knowhow to use the tools if we had them. A saw, hammer, and some glue... that's the extent of it. Why can't the experts give us a helping hand?

Friendly,

When did we lose this? And how will the boys learn it? At a pinewood derby race?

Courteous,

My dad taught me a lot - only a few things have stuck. Here's one. To be a gentleman. Common courteousy. Is it too much to ask?

Kind,

Who is the winner of the race? The one who crosses the finish line first? The one who can yell the loudest - punch the hardest - cut down the best? Who really is the winner of the race?

Obedient,

Play by the rules; the basics of morals.

Cheerful,

Attitude - much of where we go in life depends so much on this.

Thrifty,

I remember when we could build our own tracks and devise simple finish lines. I also remember when mail was a 2 day process. We depend on our technology - the pace of life has changed.

Brave,

The hardest battles are fought within. Do we have the courage to concede defeat? Can we allow the honors to pass to the next guy (gal)? Are we brave enough to stand up for the boys' values?

Clean,

Hearts and hands. Can we look at ourselves in the mirror? Can we look our boys in the eye?

and Reverent.

Remember, God knows our hearts.

I sometimes wonder where we, as a society, have placed these values. If they are sacrificed at a pinewood derby race, where else are they neglected? And where will the boys learn them?

Eagle Pete

Definitely use an electronic timing system, especially if your Derby is very competitive with close finishes. In our races last year, it would have been impossible to determine the winner just by "eyeballing" the finish line. The top 5 finishers were within 1/10 of 1 second from each other. The top 3 were within 1/100.

Our Pack pays a guy $60 to bring his track and electronic timer with record keeping. It's worth the cost.