Webelos Den Emblems

Hi All,

Question came up at our Pack meeting last night. I know that Webelos dens can choose a Boy Scout patrol emblem to use instead of their den numeral.

The question was this... Are all the boys in the den required to have achieved their Webelos badge BEFORE the den can adopt a den emblem?

I didn't think that was a requirement, but, I am unable to find any info in the Webelos Book. Another leader thinks that he heard at Webelos training that all must complete the badge first...

Second question: My Webelos den has mixed shirt colors, according to the boys/parents preference. If the boys pick a den emblem it is only SUPPOSED to be worn on the tan shirt. Would you allow it to be worn on the blue?

My thoughts are that the den emblem will help the boys learn about being in a patrol, and that is more important than the incorrect uniforming issue. Not to mention that the emblems are basically covered up by the Webelos colors anyway.... Does that make me a Uniform Practicalist??? (Not sure that is even a word!)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

No, the boys are not required to earn the Webelos rank in order to choose an emblem. As for placement - den emblems can be worn by webelos scouts on either the blue or the tan shirts. Here's a link to the BSA's uniform inspection guide for cub and webelos scouts. The relevant info about the den emblem for webelos is found in the "right sleeve" discussion.

http://www.scouting.org/forms/34282.pdf

WDL Mom

I concur with Lisabob...

There doesn't appear to be any restrictions with wearing the Webelos den patrol emblem on either the blue or the tan shirt. Nor does there seem to be anything regarding having to earn the Webelos Rank as a den before wearing a patrol emblem.

I would like to bring up a few points.

First, you may want to consider coming to some agreement on either the blue shirt or the tan shirt for a couple reasons.

One... Den Unity. Having all boys wear the same color shirt lends to a feeling of unity in the den, which is one of the big reasons for wearing the uniform in the first place.

Two... Insignia. Some of the insignia worn on the tan uniform is quite different than the blue uniform. Specifically, the Webelos badge is not only a different color for the two shirts, it is also a different shape (note: boys who wear the blue shirt MUST wear the diamond Webelos badge - boys who wear the tan shirt MUST wear the oval Webelos badge). This can potentially create confusion for proper uniform insignia placement for parents, leaders, and boys. I would also note that having the Webelos wear the tan shirt helps with the transition to Boy Scouting, where they will wear the tan shirt for the rest of their time as a Boy Scout.

Also, I don't know if you plan to conduct Uniform Inspections, but to me, this would be a lot easier if one shirt was decided on... That's just my personal preference.

You also made the point, "...the den emblem will help the boys learn about being in a patrol, and that is more important than the incorrect uniforming issue." I would like to point out that the uniform helps to promote den unity, which (correct me if I am wrong) I believe you are referring to when you say "being in a patrol". You also should have a den flag and den yell. All these things help with den unity.

Also, do you have a Webelos Den Chief? He can be an invaluable tool to help promote den unity and lead the Webelos into a Boy Scout patrol.

Use ALL the tools available in the Webelos program and you will see the boys become a unified den. The crossover to their patrol will be a natural transition.

Eagle Pete

Pete - please keep in mind that as currently constituted, the webelos shirt options are left to each parent (not the den leader or pack's decision). THe reason for this is primarily economic, I guess. Some boys may fit into their blue shirts all the way through webelos II while others may outgrow the blue shirts early in the webelos I year. Most WDLs I know, therefore, suggest to parents that the boys wear the blue shirts for as long as they still fit, and then that it makes the most sense to buy a tan shirt (though if they really want another blue one, that's ok too...). This doesn't require that much flexibility on the WDL's part and it is in keeping with the notion that "a scout is thrifty." Not to mention that there are enough other common elements to the webelos uniform that group identity should not be an issue.

Lisabob

Thank you for the clarification. I certainly agree that cost can be an issue. There are a few things a den or pack can do to try to offset this...

Uniform Bank

This is a uniform exchange system where boys leaving the pack or moving up to Webelos can turn in their blue shirt and receive tan shirt in exchange. Boys who grow out of tan shirts can also donate their shirt to the uniform bank for the Webelos coming up. It takes some time to build it, but it can be a great resource for the pack. I suggest giving a committee member charge of organizing and managing the bank. That way uniforms are kept track of and kept in better condition.

Fund Raisers

Hold special fund raising events specifically for raising money for uniforms. Be sure to advertise that all proceeds go to the purchase of uniforms. This way the boys can "earn" their uniforms. They may even take pride in them, having worked for them.

Pack Provided Items

The pack may not be able to raise enough funds for all the uniforms, but it may be able to provide patches, neckerchiefs, hats, or other uniform components to offset some of the costs of uniforming for the parents.

You are correct that the choice of uniform is ultimately up to the parents. But if it is important to the pack to be uniformed a certain way, there are ways to do this. I recommend involving parents with the decisions of how to accomplish uniforming and where these funds will come from. Invite them to the next Committee meeting to discuss uniforms and what the pack would like to accomplish. Seek their input on how to achieve the goals of the pack as far as uniforming. Parents will gain a sense of ownership in the pack and feel their voices are heard and have a vested interest in the program.

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

CORRECTION

SWScouter is correct.

According to the Webelos Uniform Inspection Sheet, "Olive/Tan Webelos Scout Uniform. Webelos Scouts electing this option wear blue shoulder loops, Webelos neckerchief, and Webelos cap. Blue (preferred) or olive belt may be worn. Academics and Sports belt loops will fit only on the blue belt. Badge placement is same as for blue uniform.

Thank you for the clairification.

Eagle Pete

Pete, I'm in agreement with you and in my contacts with packs I have promoted all of the suggestions you list. However my point was not that the pack should help get the boys uniformed (of course that should occur). My point was simply that the decision as to which shirt to wear is, as per the current cub leader training and webelos book info, up to the individual parents and not up to the pack or den leaders. Those parents may be happy to go along with a group policy (or not) but it is their choice, regardless of which options the pack offers for helping boys acquire the uniform.