Webelos Scout Books

Our pack provides each scout with a handbook for the rank they are in.

Is it too much to require that the boys bring it to each meeting/outing? I've been tracking things using a WebelosTrax spreadhseet but most of the boys don't bother bringing the book so not a lot has been signed off in the book.

Thoughts?

If it isn't signed off in the books then it hasn't happened. Get them used to that notion now before they become boy scouts, where they are responsible for getting things signed off on their own if they expect to advance. Tracking sheets are great and I use them too. But it puts the onus on you - the adult - rather than on the boy, to be responsible for his advancement, if that's the only record of accomplishments.

You might try awarding some kind of small prizes for the boy(s) who bring their book(s) to get them into the habit.

Lisa'bob

How about a Den Doodle -

There are instructions for Den Doodles on the internet, but basically, you make a stand about 4 feet tall that has a rack or block of wood at the top (this can be decorated). Screw eye hooks into the underside of the block on the top of the stand. Lable each hook with a Cub's name. Attach string or a strand of some sort to each hook. When the Cubs come to Den Meeting, bring their books, and are in uniform, string a bead on their strand on the Den Doodle for each item they do. I would either use different color beads or different style beads for each item. Some den leaders make custom beads for the doodle. Be creative.

The boys love getting beads and love to compete to see how long they can get their strand full of beads. This is a great incentive/reward system.

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

As a WEEB den leader I gave each Scout a 3 foot section of rope, real rope to practice knots with. We would also tie knots at meetings. So it became one more thing, along with the book, not to bring. I also required something to write with.

Things got so bad with kids leaving their book home that I told them if everybody brought their stuff we would have a half hour Yuggio party. It took five meetings before they earned the party and steadily more and more boys complied because of the peer pressure.

I might add that I am against rewarding folks for things they are supposed to do as common tasks but short of barring the door it was the path of least resistance to get the scout and parent to do the minimum

At our last meeting as Bears, we created our own Webelos workbooks - 3-ring binders with 20 sections for each Activity Badge. We use these to hold all our activity badge handouts, paper crafts, mini-posters and flyers, brochures, you name it. Any little pencil puzzles the denner comes up with for opening activity also goes in there under the correct section. And their handbooks fit nicely in the inside pocket. Our boys are told to bring their handbook and their workbook to each den meeting - and they do. We reference the handbooks during the meeting ("boys, open to page ...") so they know they'll be needing it. We've had very good success with them bringing it. I also use a spreadsheet that is very helpful, but probably once a month, I take time out of a den meeting to just sit down with everyone's book and get them updated. We do not ask them to bring the handbook or workbook to outings.

I understand about not wanting to reward "expected" behavior, but it might be wise until the boys make it a habit.