BALOO training

I've seen the information online about BALOO training, but what is involved in it? There isn't a lot of info about it. Things like what I need to take with me. Is it a hands on training or is it mostly lecture time? Any details about it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry

I just took Baloo last week in my district. It lasted about 7 hours from 9am - 4pm. I did not need to take anything with me, but check with your district. The course was excellent and much better than I was expecting.

I would say it was about 1/2 indoor lecture & 1/2 outdoors with some hands-on training. The course primarily focuses on how to prepare your Pack for an overnight campout and doing it safely with BSA guidelines. Other lessons included having proper equipment, preparing meals over campfire, and having an agenda for your campout including a campfire program. There was other stuff but too long to list here. A refresher on Youth Protection guidelines was also given.

The training is great and even if your an experienced camper you will learn a few things on camping with kids. The training covers equipment, youth protection, BSA policies, and other "how to" things.

Typically there is a session on meal prep and dutch oven deserts.

The class in our District inlcuded lessons on light-weight equipment and what is needed versus not needed. I was able to cut the amount of stuff I carry in half, even after adding a 12" dutch oven!