Tiger Program - Go see it fieldtrips

Aloha all,

New TL here - had our 1st den meeting and all went okay although the "shared leadership" was met with a little apprehension I figure after a few meetings they will see it isn't so bad :)

My question is on the "Go see It" fieldtrips - I scheduled the first one and only half the boys will be able to make it. Do we have to go as a den or are individual trips okay? I'd think the den outings would be more fun and build our relationships but I don't want to hold back the boys that can come. I'm sure that we will be able to make up this trip at another time (Achievement 1G = visiting a historical place, library, etc) but the parents that can't come are concerned that we would be out of sync.

Mahalo nui loa,

Ellie

This is a very common issue. As a Cubmaster I deal with this from every Den level. The idea is that you plan an event far enough in advance that all can make it. But... you are not obligated to keep rescheduling events for those who don't. You will find that those 5 chapters go fairly quickly and you will have time to visit additional places later in the year.

Several Den Leaders last year approached me with this question and were frustrated they couldn't get more participation at their planned outtings. Eventually, when the boys that came ended up with their awards at Pack Meeting and the others that no-showed did not, the no-shows made more of an effort to attend future events.

In the end though, you "do your best" to make sure all can go, but do not kill yourself rescheduling things over and over. Scouting is about responsibility and committment. Even at the Tiger level.

Hope that helps.

Cubmaster Castro

This year's New Den Leader Kit includes a Tiger Advancement Helps sheet. I believe the BIN # is 13-101. Unfortunately, the online version of the new leader kit http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-134/index.html doesn't include this publication yet.

The sheet specifically says that although the Den (D) and Go and See It (G) requirements are intended to be completed in the den setting, that boys who can not attend due to illness or conflicts, MAY complete those requirements with their parent. This info is also in the Tiger Cub Handbook and the Cub Scout Leader book, but it takes searching to find it.

Flexibility is the key at ALL of the Scout levels. Even at the Tiger level, sports & outside activities has an impact.

First, find out from your families what day/time would work best for MOST of them for outings. Then try to make the outings for that day/time whenever possible. You can also mix it up a bit and include a few different day/times for events to try & capture everyone.

I encourage my Tiger Teams to work on any den activity or outing that they have missed on their own time. Sometimes I will also include a family activity during den time (neighborhood map hike is a good one).

If I see that some Teams are having trouble completing things, I will do different variations of outings (or den activities) to give them plenty of opportunities. The boys who need an outing for achievements will get their bead plus a patch segment, those who already have their bead will just get the patch segment. The outings are fun & everyone gets something so they don't feel like they are simply repeating stuff.

For example, for Ach 1G the Pack is planning on attending a Civil War re-enactment. If I have Tigers who miss that, we have a nature center that is also a historical schoolhouse, an old mill that was a stop on the underground railroad, & a working, live-history farm that we can do outings to. All fun, all different & all fulfill Ach 1G. And, if someone is STILL short that achievement, I can pick a nasty weather day & visit the library (or tell the Tiger Team to visit it on their own)!

For the Sport Go-See-It we will visit games the Tigers are playing in. Between all of those & a Pack outing to a pro hockey game, all Tigers should be covered.

The communication one is tricky, but for a quick alternate, a visit to the police station & their 911 center will work for both Ach 2G & 4G.

And, if it comes down to it, you have to remember that you can lead a Tiger Team to their Rank, but you can't make them earn it! Do NOT give them their rank award because you don't want the boy to feel "bad". Life will not stop if they do not earn their Tiger Rank award. They will still graduate to Wolf in June and maybe they will make sure to earn THAT one!

WELCOME! & KISMF!

TIGERS ARE G-R-R-R-R-R-R-E-A-T !!