need positive recruiting vibes

Tonight, I'm doing my first sign-up night as Cubmaster. In the past, sign-up night was just that--the parent came, filled out the application, paid the registration fee, and left with a "see ya next week at the first pack meeting."

This year, we're having a real meeting. Parents will sit at tables by grade level, we'll watch the Cub Scout introductory video, we'll discuss program, family involvement, money, etc. I've got a couple of Boy Scouts coming to play games with the boys while the parents go over all this stuff. My DE is coming to help me with the presentation.

I'm hoping everything goes well, but since we've never done with before, I have no idea what will happen. Will we get three boys or 30? Who knows?

Also, for the first time, we did some low-key recruiting at a neighboring school that doesn't have a pack. We sent flyers home with their boys last week, and yesterday, in a last minute "sure, you can come over" from the principal, our senior scout exec did boy talks with the first and second graders. (I did boy talks at our home school yesterday with all grades.) We already have one little boy from the other school (he joined as a Tiger this summer), but I have no idea what kind of response to expect.

This could be wonderful or awful! Please send lots of positive vibes my way and I'll let y'all know tomorrow how it went.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

It sounds like you are on track. I really like your outline. One thing I like is that you have the boys off playing games while you are able to have the parents attention while you can explain how the program works, and what they are responsable for. I have seen lots of parents that just do not (Get It) till its to late. I was somewhat in a fog when my son went through Tigers. And I have Boy Scout Experiance under my belt. It also took me a long time to get used to what I thought was a lot of meetings. I really hope that you do well. Something you can also do is 2 months later interview some of the parents and see how well your message was delivered, and make the corrections for next year.

Good Luck

Brian