Tiger advancement - what do you think??

they could buy them at the scout store - or find them online - http://www.usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/a-s.html

the belt loops can be earned all throughout cub scouts - so getting them now may not be the best thing at tiger (when IMHO some should be learned at a little older age when it is probably more appropriate) . the loops can only be earned once - so running through them the first year can mean boredom later in scouts when others are learning.

for some of the sports belt loops - if they are in a league, they should earn them by the first game. (usually the 3 reqs. are discuss the rules of the game - practice for 30 minutes - participate in a game)

"the loops can only be earned once - so running through them the first year can mean boredom later in scouts when others are learning"

Actually, beltloops can be earned more than once. Hence the requirement for some Webelos Activity Pins to earn a certain beltloop "as a Webelos".

That said, our pack (and I've read the same from others) will not buy a beltloop more than once for a scout. If the scout wants to wear multiple art beltloops, f'ex, then they will have to purchase the extras himself. In fact, unless earning the beltloop again is a requirment for another advancement (like Webelos Activity Pins), we generally don't even track or recognize earning of multiple beltloops at our pack meetings. There are plenty of other things for scouts to do to get recognition besides earning the same beltloop over and over again. After all, a scout who plays soccer in the spring and fall could earn the beltloop twice a year!

But you are right that scouts should be encouraged to expand on what they are doing to earn the beltloops, since the Academic and Sports Program spans their entire Cub Scout "career". We do this by encouraging older Cubs to go beyond the three requirements for the beltloop to earn the pin.

In my experience with "enthusiastic" parents who sign off on requirments without reading them or "fudging", I diplomatically (I hope) ask the parent to bring something that the boy made or kept a record of to be part of the den's showcase at our pack meetings. For the physical fitness beltloop, the Cub is supposed to improve on physical skills. Did they keep a record of those skills? Could they please bring it in to display, so others can benefit from how they might have done it? For more tangible beltloops, like art, geography, etc., ask them to bring in something that the scout drew or wrote for the beltloop.

Again, in my experience, parents who might be fudging things quickly get the idea that they can't just willy-nilly sign things off. But in the end, the Cub Scout program is designed so that the parent has the final say in whether the Cub "Did His Best", so we are really counting on the honor of the parents.

Here's one of my favorite sources for all things Cub-related, the Virtual Cub Scout Leader's Handbook.

http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/

If you click on the "New Academic and Sports Program" then you can pull up beltloops/pins and the requirements. Personally I find that a much handier method than expecting parents to buy the academic& sports program guide. (I'd much rather they spend their $15 on a piece of their son's uniform)

Just a quick clarification. JeffD, beltloops CAN be earned more than once during a cub's career. In fact, there are several loops that fulfill partial requirements for the webelos program a few years down the road. And in the webelos book whenever one of those beltloops is discussed it says something like: If you've already earned the ____ beltloop that's great! But you'll have to earn it again WHILE YOU ARE A WEBELOS SCOUT in order for it to count toward webelos advancement.

Many packs do have a policy where they'll only pay for the loop one time (no matter how many times you earn it), and that makes some sense. Besides which, by the time they're webelos, the boys are usually ok with not being presented with a duplicate loop since they are earning other awards instead.

Lisa'bob

thanks all for the clarification - i guess its like electives where they can be signed off more than once. though i dont see the purpose. i would want to try NEW AND DIFFERENT things rather than repeat the same thing over and over...

though its a bit off topic, i dont see why some parents seem content to say their kid did elective 14 a total of 25 times, or they did the 'play a game' elective 10 times. as a scout, i always tried to experience new things and complete many of the different reqs. i dont recall ever being able to repeat items - but this was a good 20-25 years ago :)

i wish there were an easy way to say you need to do X number of electives before being able to repeat. this would get the cubs searching to discovering new things and sharing the experience with the den and/or pack (hey search discover share - i think i am on to something here)

Hi Linux,

Actually that's not a bad idea, pretty common sense. But do be careful with how you word it because (as you probably know) even with good intentions, you can't change the requirements for awards. THat means that if the requirement allows for the repetition of an elective to count, then you can't decide that it won't count or that it won't count right now but will later. Nothing to say you can't "suggest" that boys try to avoid repetition though! You just can't technically enforce such a policy.

Anyway this probably won't be that big an issue. Most parents, once you explain that the whole point is to share experiences and not just keep a score card, will back off of the "oh Johnny did requirement #4 89 times last week!" business.

Have fun,

Lisa'bob