Skipping grades?

My son has just completed 1st grade and a wonderful year of Tiger Cubs. He is enthralled with Scouting and I am very active as well (serving as Tiger Den Leader and Asst. Cubmaster). His den is very strong and cohesive with 11 boys. Academically, he is quite advanced and the school is evaluating him for entry into 3rd grade (i.e. skipping 2nd grade). If we pursue this, I am inclined to keep him in his Wolf den as this will help mitigate some of the social issues surrounding skipping a grade. I just wanted to inquire of other Scouters whether they had encountered this issue in Cubs and what they learned from the situation. Thanks in advance...

Our council leaves the ultimate choice up to the parents because they have the best idea of what will be best for their child. Our Pack has had the flip side of this problem, boys who were held back in school. In our case the parents have opted to have the boy repeat his rank again so he would be w/ his current classmates.

Good luck and best to you and your son

YiS

Michelle

A couple of years ago our pack had a boy who had started K early and skipped a grade as well. He was a WII and earned his AoL in Feb of 5th grade at the age of 9. Rules for joining a troop are that a boy MUST be at least 10, even if he finishes 5th gr. and already has his AoL. So this was a bit of a concern when all his den buddies were able to cross over and he had to wait.

We have generally left this choice up to the parents (same with those who are held back a grade), but we try very hard to provide them with full information about future implications of whatever choice they make.

Lisa'bob

I think you are right to have your son continue with his age-mates, rather than skip ahead to be with his grade-mates. If he skips to Bear, he won't get a chance to earn his Wolf badge. I only know of one boy in similar circumstances, and he stayed with his age-mates because of the problem LisaBob mentioned. He would have been too young for Boy Scouts if he finished Web. II with the boys in his grade. And then what do you do? Go for a 3rd year of Webelos, when he's already earned everything?

Conversely, the boys I know who have been held back a grade, moved up in scouts with their former grade-mates, because they didn't want to repeat a rank.

My son was advanced halfway through 1st grade to the 2nd grade, so we had him finish up Tigers and then move onto Bears the next year. Our family made the decision to skip the Wolf year. His twin brother was not advanced a year. This was the right decision for our family as this really smart kid was mature enough to merge with older kids. He will have just turned 10 next February when he should get the AOL and move on to Boy Scouts. My opinion is that most boys should be with their grade level, if possible. If he is mature enough to function at an advanced grade level then he is probably mature enough to function in a den made up of his classmates. Every boy is different, though, one has to make that decision on a case-by-case basis.