Tiger Advancement - "Make-up" activities

Leaders - - looking for clarification/advice:

We have a number of Tigers who need to do "make-up" activities and earn their beads towards their Tiger badge. I was asked by a parent if the Den activities necessarily needed to be completed with other Den members who needed to do similar "make-up" sessions, OR whether these Den Activities could be done on a family by family basis (e.g. Parents could do a scapbook on their own, rather than with other Den members as stated in the handbook, etc.)

Any advice/perspective to share?

I try to be flexible, so the little guys & their folks don't get frustrated before they get really hooked on scouts.

I have always allowed Tigers to make up missed Den activities at the family level. The problem with this is that they don't always do it. To help with that, I also do many of the things 2X, in different ways, so that they will have multiple opportunities.

We visit both Fire & Police if necessary. I did the food pyramid in a den meeting, we will also go on an outing to our local grocery store. We went to see the girls play basketball at our Y, the Pack is also going to a pro hockey game, & if push comes to shove, I will allow the family to watch a game (March Madness!) on the TV & explain the rules to their son. For the history portion we attended a Revolutionary War recreation, visited our library & we will visit a local nature center that is a historical farm. For the leaf rubbing, I will incorporate it into various crafts during the year (scarf slide, picture frame, bookmark, etc). Communication is tricker, but the 911 center (they also demonstrate reverse 911) at the Police station will work in a pinch.

Now, if I could just hold the parents down & glue a pencil & the handbook in their hands!

When I was a Tiger leader, we went a living history farm and museum in the Fall. During Christmas season, our town Historical Society had a small train show in one of its Historical homes it does events in. It featured memorabilia from the old rail lines that use to be in the county, like the now defunct Erie Railroad.

Most went to the first one, and every one went to second one. Trains & boys is a sure to win thing.

For things like scrapbooks and collections, they had to bring it to a meeting to show it off. Every boy had questions about each others items in them. They tended to impress each other in those.

Another make-up event possibility that will get them there is going to visit a fire training center. Ours does a yearly demo open to the public using new and old equipement.