Say Pledge before or after posting the flag?

I'd like to know how other Packs do the Color Guard. Our Tigers and Wolves have trouble holding the flag while we recite the Pledge. I may be remembering wrong, but I think that our Pack used to allow the boys to "post" the colors before we said the Pledge. For at least the last 3 years, we have been doing it this way:

Color Guard Advance

Color Guard Present the Colors

(we say the Pledge while the boys hold the flags)

Color Guard Post the Colors

Color Guard dismissed

Is it okay to let the boys "post" the Colors before we say the Pledge? Even a few of my Webelos have trouble holding out the flag for very long. Maybe we just need smaller flags.

The proper way is to say the pledge before posting. That said, no one would string you up for changing things around to accomodate the smaller guys. But, given you want to do it "right", how about these ideas:

For the younger guys, like Tigers, just allow them to rest the flagpole on the floor during the pledge. As short as they are, it would hardly be noticed. Make sure to dip your pack flag during the pledge.

As for the older guys, consider getting the color guard belts. This allows the weight to be distributed across their shoulders in addition to their arms.