Crime Prevention Award project ideas

Our Bear den just received their Bear awards at our Blue and Gold, so I'm looking at planning ideas for the spring as far as electives to keep the boys engaged. Someone has suggested the Crime Prevention award.

What have people on the list done with Bears for an appropriate project for this award?

Thanks.

I wish I could help but I don't know what's involved in that one, we're Webelos now. If I'm thinking of the same thing, we had an officer come in and talk to us about crime prevention, but it sounds like you need to do an actual project. Would that be like a service project?

Our den earned this last year about this time (we were Wolves). We worked all month of February on the Cub Scout Core Values. We had a Little League baseball coach come to a meeting (all dressed in uniform) and he set up scenarios of some "incidents" that might happen on the ballfield or in the stands (like bad feelings that can lead to violence). The boys loved the role-playing, and it was the start of baseball season, so the timing was great. He is a Scout dad, so we got him to tie in how using one of the 12 Core Values might make a difference. (It was all about "preventing" crimes.) We did several activities to get our boys to learn all 12 Core Values. Then for our "service project", we treated the local Sheriff's department with Valentines! The boys brought all their extra Valentine cards, pencils, candy, you name it (whatever they were giving at school), we signed them all with our pack and den name, and wrapped them in a nice package. Then we headed to the Sheriff's department to make a Valentine delivery. It was a great service for our boys. We particularly didn't want it to be a "scary" thing, talking about crime, so we took this angle and it worked well.

Maybe you could give Easter baskets or something similar this spring?

Another den in our pack worked on it this year. For their service, they went with making some kind of posters about internet safety - tied into our Jamboree-on-the-Internet day.

Hope these help!

clydesdale115

It was years ago, but our den did a bicycle registration program in the area schools that was provided to the local police department. The idea came from our tour of the police headquarters and seeing a hundred bikes or so out back that had been recovered as stolen property for which an owner had not been identified.

I had my W2 den each bring in 10 Crime Prevention tips.

We then put them all onto a handout and then distrubuted them at the Packs B&G.

I had only 4 so you may want to have them bring in a few less each

You could pass this out at a Pack meeting also.