Unusual problem

We're having a problem this year that we've never had before--new boys showing up at den meetings or pack meetings with no warning. I keep thinking that it will stop, but just last night at the pack meeting, two new boys showed up.

I think the DE is sending them to us from other packs that aren't doing well. The problem is that nobody has time to sit down with them and go over the application and pack policy because we're busy running meetings.

I need to discuss this problem at tonight's leaders' meeting, but I have no solution to suggest. We do have a membership chair, but she's not always there when these kids show up.

I had the same problem when I was Cubmaster for our Pack. Not usually because DE is sending boys from struggling packs (I would be really surprised to hear about a DE doing that), but because boys heard about school night but weren't able to attend and were told where and when the Pack meets.

When these new boys showed up out of the blue, I was able to take time to talk to the parents and find out what grade their son was in. Then I would check with the den leader to make sure they would be willing to take "one more Scout." Next, had new folks fill out paperwork and pay registration, and then tell the parents/scout to return the following week with a handbook and be ready to start. There were times, of course, when a den would already have too many boys and unfortunately the new Scout would have to be directed to a different pack, but that was very rare.

It also helped that all of our dens met at the same time in the same place.

From your message it sounds like all of your leaders are busy running meetings - do you not have a Cubmaster that is ONLY the Cubmaster? What about Asst. Cubmaster? If they aren't available, maybe for the next few weeks/months your membership chair should plan to be at all your meetings. You could also ask your den leaders (those that will have the new Scouts) to let the boy sit in on the meeting when he arrives and then take a few minutes after their den meeting to talk to the Scout/family and fill out paperwork, etc.

Good luck.

I would get their names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mails, etc. and tell them someone will be in contact with them within the week to set up a get together to go over things & get the applications completed. Then do it! This will let the kids enjoy themselves & the parents a chance to "browse" your unit & leave the leadership free to do what they need to do.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

Why does it surprise you that a DE would send someone to a different pack if the one they joined first no longer had a den for them to be in? I know we got at least one that way. Others heard about us from different sources.

We do have a cubmaster who isn't a den leader, but, since he's not a leader, he doesn't come to den meetings, and of course he's busy at pack meetings. The membership chair is a Tiger partner, and they don't meet every week. Plus, she's busy with her son during den meetings.

I like the idea of getting their info and having someone contact them later. I think we've been afraid if we didn't sign them up immediately, we'd lose them. Actually, some kids who sign up that way only show up once or twice and then drop out, so I don't think we're gaining anything by being too hasty.