Using a Den Chief in an advancement ceremony

I'm the CM/DL for our combo Wolf/Bear den. We had one boy complete Bobcat Sunday and I fully anticipate the other finishing by next Sunday (only has the Child Protection part left). My Den Chief played a decent sized role in helping them thru Bobcat. He is the one who suggested the "Bobcat Progress Card" and the sticker tracking (one small smiley face sticker on each of the 8 points as it is completed and then a big smiley face in the center when the whole thing is complete). He worked with each of them at each Den meeting to see how they were progressing and to help them along. I'd think he earned a place in this particular ceremony, but perhaps that sort of thing isn't done or appropriate.

Have any of you ever used your Den Chief in your advancement Ceremonies? I'm working on mine right now (Pack meeting is in 2 weeks) and our Pack hasn't had a Den Chief during my tenure as CM, so I'm not sure if the Den Chief can/should be included in the ceremony.

BTW - Yes, I remembered that immediate recognition is important. After Brand New Bear got the last piece signed off Sunday I announced it, stuck a Bobcat Sticker on his shirt where his badge will go, he got to post his Bobcat Progress Card up on our bulletin board and then we had "joyous treats" to celebrate. He just has to wait til the Pack meeting in 2 weeks to get his cloth badge.

Thanks for your help

Michelle

CM/DL - P102

Michelle,

Yes indeed use your Den Chief in Ceremonies. My oldest son was a Den Chief and was always a part of presenting awards at Pack Meetings. The Cub Scouts looked up to him and it seemed to mean more to them to have the "Boy Scout" give them an award, rather than an adult.

Glad to hear Den Chiefs are alive and well!

Karen

A Den Chief is part of the Den Leadership Team and should be treated as such. If you, as DL, are involved in your Dens ceremonies, then why would you leave out one of the other Den Leaders?

Involve him in everything your den does, including the monthly recognition/advancement ceremonies.

I'm involved in the ceremony as the CM, not necessarily as the DL. In our Pack, the DL's normally participate in rank advancement ceremonies as Parent and not as Leader. The CM conducts the ceremony and makes the presentation. I'm not saying this is the way it is supposed to be or should be, just that this is the way it is with our Pack. That's why I had to ask, our Pack hasn't had a Den Chief in the last 5 years, so I've never even been to a Pack meeting that had a Den Chief, this is all new territory for me...well, for all of the current Pack leadership.

I'm glad to know that he can and should be involved. That was my personal feeling, but as this Den Chief is my personal scout, I was concerned that I wasn't doing a good job of seperating my roles.

Michelle

CM/DL - P102

You are the CM and as such can involve anyone you want in your ceremony. I was CM for two years and I am in my 3rd year as DL. As CM I conducted many advancement ceremonies and my Pack gave me the freedom to do things my way. As CM there is no right or wrong way to conduct your ceremony. It may be different than what your pack is used to but that doesn't make it wrong.