Saving Cub Scouts

Well, not in its entirety. But I am headed off today to help my UC bring the scouting program in my neighboring community up from the ashes. I have mentioned this unit before. This is at least the third attempt at starting a Pack in this community. Leadership has been and still is the problem.

They currently have 16 boys signed up and are still in need of a Wolf and Bear leader as well as a CC and CM.

Time to bring the calvary in and rally the troops. Wish me luck!

Jerry

Good luck! Wow- with 16 boys interested, it seems like some of their parents could step up. Our CM is a great-uncle to 3 of our boys, and our Webelos II leader is another boys aunt. Maybe you could expand your pool of prospective leaders?

Update when you can!

While I wish you nothing but the best.

I do however believe that there comes a time when we have to accept that we are unable to do anymore.

We, being the District, Council, Commissioners and Membership Committee.

Someone from the unit has to want it to continue.

Over the years I have lost count of the number of units that have called me telling me that they need a leader.

Of course I don't have a waiting list of people waiting in line to step up to the plate.

When we have tried to get a unit up and running by planting non-unit leadership (Either members of the membership committee or Commissioners)things work out OK until the time comes when they have to leave.

If there is no interest from the CO and the people in the unit have no interest in supporting the unit, it is doomed.

Much as I hate to be full of doom and gloom, I do make a point of telling this to the CO.

We at one time had a District Commissioner who was very good at bullying parents, even going as far as locking the meeting room doors and telling them that they weren't leaving until they came up with the adults that were needed. Those who did agree only did so in order to get the door unlocked and didn't last very long.

I strongly recommend that if you really want to save this pack, that you send in the District Membership Chairman, have him meet with the CO and form a Nominating Committee. If you follow the Nominating procedure, selecting and asking the people who have been selected you will not only save a lot of time but the end result will be better.

But if no one is willing to step up? Maybe it's time to look at finding a new CO, one who not only supports the program but wants it.

Eamonn.

I am coming to believe that some CO's (or hosts, or locations, whatever) are just accursed for some reason.

There is a local school that SHOULD be a good host for Scouting- decent class size, good income mix, most kids are locals, good community support, etc. but in the last 15+ years, our district has tried to get units going there with rarely any results beyond a few preliminary meetings.

I worked with the place for a while. We would get several youth signing up as interested, but far too few showing up for a meeting. Follow-up phone calls showed no real pattern or reasons for the glitching.

I think there is an internal dynamic that prevents this from happening- perhaps a subtle anti-Scouting culture, perhaps a certain resistance at some levels... I did not go to the school, so I wouldn't know. I know our pack had a HECK of a time working off some bad feelings in our own school- and the pack is still struggling there.

Of course, some of the very best local units are from places that did not host a unit until just a few years ago, so we keep trying, right!?!

I have returned from the battle field and it would seem like we won the battle. Next is the War.

Out of 16, 6 showed up. From that 6 it looks like we are going to get a CC, CM, Treasurer, and a Secretary! Not bad. And the gleam in their eye and excitement in their voices tells me I am really honing my skills as a salesman!

Seriously though, the key was, and this is what I tell all of my prospective leaders, is that "You are not alone". My CC was there along with me and we both told all of them that we will hold their hand until they are comfortable if that is what is necessary so they won't fail.

I also told each of them not to commit to anything if they can't give what it takes. I would rather them not sign up than do so and quit a month later or put forth minimal effort.

So, we have given them the initial push. No Pack meeting for them in Oct. They are coming to ours to get a better feel of how to present one. They all have also been invited to our next committee meeting for the same reasons. And they have a planning meeting set up a week after that.

All of them were excited. Lots of "I can do that", "My dad is a... and can help with...", etc. One of the parents in attendance tonight was "scarred" by past efforts of starting a Pack there and she noted positive differences between tonight's results and the reasons for past failures.

Crossing the fingers....

I guess 'congratulations' and 'good luck' are appropriate simultaneously. I was in a related position a long time ago. The pack nearly died and just a few of us stuck with it long enough to see it through to a new crop of dedicated parents. It's thriving today.

It might help if you mention to them that for the CM, at least, it's only one hour per month.;)

Eamonn, I agree. Sincere interest in the unit by the CO is really needed. We still fight that battle but we have the good fortune of having many parents that want to help out.